Coilover Funco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coilover Funco

This guy is a friend of Jason Parks and pulled into our camp at RRE this past weekend. I forget the backstory but he owned some sort of SxS business and maybe sold it to Polaris and they made him an Engineer, or he was into snowmobiles and sold that business to Polaris. I cant remember. He seemed like a really nice guy and we talked for a while about what he had done to get this Funco to work with coilovers. I didn't know it at the time but after posting the pics on IG, and several people chiming in, it turns out these are basically SxS shocks but installed on a Funco. They are electronically controlled by a dial on the dash and can be set to soft or hard very quickly. We even bounced the car up and down while he turned the knob and it worked.

The guy claims to now have a true 18" of wheel travel, 2" more then Funco claims. The guy then told me he was changing the front end geometry and the car would be 10" wider. I was like WTF? But he said it wouldn't be wider than the rear end. That's not going to work for any Funco owner. These cars need to drive in/out of the trailer with the paddles installed. We talked about the toe in/out issues on the Funco's and I told him how we determined it needed to be fixed and he seemed responsive.

He says he's been in contact with Grant at Funco and had sent him pics. His plan was to have Grant, Chad, and Garret drive the car this weekend and see how they liked it. I was talking to Grant and he didn't sound like he was that into it but knew if the guy had it dialed in and put together a 'kit' then there would definitely be a market for his set up on many Funco's. I talked to Chad Friday night and he said he was looking forward to driving the car over the weekend. I did see the guy talking to Grant at the Funco bonfire Friday night but don't know if they ever got to drive it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200228_144407.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.52 MB ID:	32606

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200228_144413.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.94 MB ID:	32607

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200228_144421.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.44 MB ID:	32608
    LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
    RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
    WELDING & FABRICATION
    CAD DESIGN & WATER JET
    FULLY INSURED TRANSPORTATION SERVICES

Tell that dude to put the bags back on it and sell it to me...

any who, sounds like the fox dynamix shocks that they use on some of the rzrs. You can adjust them for comfort to firm and something else with the push of a button.

Not sure I’d like them on a Funco but cool for him thinking outside of the box.

im more interested in Funcos “real” coil car that’s in the works for the ballers. Where’s those spy pics bro

Comment

I was wondering who would be the first manufacturer to start using these shocks?

at first I thought it seemed like a sham, with the electronically controlled shocks, but a good friend with a dynamix rzr, said they work great. He was skeptical at first too. He has owned sand cars, and I'd consider him a great driver... so I would take his word for it. He said through small chop randomness he clicks "comfort mode" and the thing is smooth as butter, then when approaching the dunes, clicks it to sport mode and it handles great, if he sees a nice jump coming up, clicks it into firm mode etc... he said it responds really well, and changes as fast as he clicks the screen.

This seems like the "next level" thing for sandcars, just wondering who will be the first to put it together.

Funco owners will shun the idea, due to not being able to put out the vibe, and lay frame at the beverage stops lol

Comment

interesting for sure. I was shocked how heavy those cars are and not they are gonna go down the bypass coilovers rabbithole. will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by L.R.S. View Post
          it turns out these are basically SxS shocks
          Those are the Fox Live Valve shocks that came out on the 2018 XP Turbo Dynamix Edition, and later the Turbo S (not the Turbo S Velocity Edition... those have Walker Evans Velocity shocks). I'm sure you can Google how many times a second they can adjust, but in the RZR they're taking input from lots of sensors and changing the valving accordingly. Think of it like actually being able to change the clickers on the shock a few times a second, that's the "Live Valve."

That function is very different than the GM magnetic system, aka magnetorheological dampers. Those actually use fluid in the shock with small magnetic particles in suspension, an electromagnetic field is introduced which actually allows changing the viscosity of the fluid, and thus damping (think of it as actually being able to change shock fluid weight infinitely hundreds of time a second, vs. just spinning clickers).

On the RZR it does neat stuff like puts all 4 shocks to full stiff when it senses all 4 shocks are at full droop (you're in the air) or putting the fronts full-stiff when you hit the brakes). It'll also stiffen the outer shocks for a turn, etc. Without integrating all of those sensors I assume he wasn't using any of those features, just basically using it to go from soft to firm without jumping out and changing clickers... still cool. FWIW, I don't see any reason you couldn't still use this with bags, you'd just need to marry the Fox shocks to the front CO's like Funco does with Kings... the rear would be far easier.

Originally posted by L.R.S. View Post
          The guy claims to now have a true 18" of wheel travel, 2" more then Funco claims. The guy then told me he was changing the front end geometry and the car would be 10" wider. I was like WTF? But he said it wouldn't be wider than the rear end. That's not going to work for any Funco owner. These cars need to drive in/out of the trailer with the paddles installed. We talked about the toe in/out issues on the Funco's and I told him how we determined it needed to be fixed and he seemed responsive.
          The "wide" Platform Funcos (which most of the nicer builds are these days) already don't drive in/out of a trailer. Just look at DrunkleBill. As for the "toe in/out" issue that's called Bump Steer and I've written excessively on it before. A lot of people misunderstand the term "Bump Steer" and assume it's all sorts of things (like the steering wheel fighting you through bumps, etc.). Here's an article that will do a much better job of explaining it: http://www.longacreracing.com/techni...aspx?item=8162 and includes how to reduce bump steer. The only way to eliminate it is with the right front end design:

-TJ

"You can lead a horse to water... but you can't make it dune"

Comment

Working...
          X