No announcement yet.

Time for boost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, it only rained for an hour yesterday so I got back on the car as soon as it let up. I filled the H/E and plugged in the pump. It's wire to come on with the ignition so it will run all the time. A buddy suggested I get an inlet air temp gauge for my Racepack dash as extra protection, which I will do eventually, just not for this trip.

When the car was at JAX he told me the alternator was not charging. I said it was the same alt the engine had before and he said it was a shitty little 65amp off a 68-72 Chevy pickup. He looked online for a replacement and found one with the same measurements and mounting points. He called his vendor and I went and grabbed it. 170amp alternator for $175, and the guy told me no returns on electrical parts. Hope it works.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200209_113703.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.96 MB ID:	32276 I don't have a good pic but this is the alternator adjuster. This Magnachager beltline is weird and the alternator is on the driver's side down low and runs off its own belt to the crank pulley. It is weird but it also worked for many years when this engine was in my buddies Buckshot. No sense changing it now. The adjuster mount on the new alternator is closer to the engine block so I had to shorten the adjuster. But one side is right-hand thread and the opposite is left-hand. I picked up a new coupler nut and re-tapped it for 3/8-24 thread and drilled out the other end so the left-hand thread would just slip in it. I planed to weld the left-hand thread nut to the coupler nut but once it was on the car and tight there was no need to weld it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200209_113716.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.83 MB ID:	32277This is the little time-consuming BS that really eats up the hours.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200209_160447.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	3.29 MB
ID:	32294

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200209_124728.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.46 MB ID:	32278Next up was the throttle cable mount. It needed to have a Morse cable clip and would need to be solidly mounted while still getting full stroke on the throttle body.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200209_124733.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.98 MB ID:	32279I made a template for a bracket to bolt onto the front of the passenger side head.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200209_125508.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.34 MB ID:	32280Drilled and tapped a piece of angle iron.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200209_130313.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.04 MB ID:	32281The plan was to mock it up and figure out where to weld the brackets together.

The bracket I made was way too big and the Morse cable mount I made was too small and needed to be 1/4" longer. TIme to start over.
    LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
    RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
    WELDING & FABRICATION
    CAD DESIGN & WATER JET
    FULLY INSURED TRANSPORTATION SERVICES

Comment

Next attempt at a throttle cable mount-

Name:	20200209_131834.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	3.58 MB
ID:	32283This small bracket cleared the other stuff on the engine better.

Name:	20200209_142258.jpg
Size:	3.76 MB
ID:	32284

Name:	20200209_142302.jpg
Size:	4.29 MB
ID:	32285It took several tries to get it bent and lined up but once it was good I welded it up and added a gusset.

Name:	20200209_142539.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	4.18 MB
ID:	32286I'll powder coat it eventually.

Name:	20200209_142551.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	4.42 MB
ID:	32287Perfect spot to bolt it up.

The throttle cable mount is done and making full stroke.
      LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
      RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
      WELDING & FABRICATION
      CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

As with all engines, they need to breathe. When I was at JAX and we let the car idle until the fans came on I notice a cap on the valve cover and Jack said I should take it off. I was really surprised to hear how much air pressure had built up in the engine. ANd I may have effed up my rear main seal by not taking the cap off sooner. I see a little oil leak coming from the bell housing and it doesn't look like clutch fluid. Live and learn I guess.

My last engine had the PCV routed to the underside of the intake manifold and the other side routed to the throttle body. This is how Turnkey, the engine builder, set it up so I never thought to change it. I found out how bad it was when I pulled off the LS7 intake and saw all the dirt, sand and oil inside. Won't make that mistake again so I bought a breather cannister from Kartek. Did I want polished aluminum? Not at all, but it's all they had.

Name:	20200209_143813.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	4.00 MB
ID:	32289 I only need one port on this breather so I plugged the other two.

Name:	20200209_143818.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	3.71 MB
ID:	32290Used a couple of hose clamps to mount it to an existing frame bar.

LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
        RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
        WELDING & FABRICATION
        CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

I was checking stuff and saw the overflow fitting on the H/E was loose. I put a wrench on it and the little bastard snapped right off. Just what I needed.

Name:	20200209_154045.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	3.76 MB
ID:	32292
          This is the second time I've bought a part from the same vendor only to have it snap off while I was tightening it. I fully understand they need to buy some cheap-ass Chinese stuff but to completely different parts both broken off while they were barely tight is unacceptable.

Name:	20200209_154327.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	3.46 MB
ID:	32293I stuffed a shop rag in the H/E to help catch any aluminum shaving while I drilled and tapped this for 1/8" pipe. Why am I drilling and tapping? Because the piece that broke off is not SAE, it's some metric shit that no one carries. Once that was done I filled the H/E and turned the ignition on so the water could circulate. I know the pump is running but I was surprised to not see the water n the H/E moving at all.

LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
          RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
          WELDING & FABRICATION
          CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

Originally posted by L.R.S. View Post
            I stuffed a shop rag in the H/E to help catch any aluminum shaving while I drilled and tapped this for 1/8" pipe. Why am I drilling and tapping? Because the piece that broke off is not SAE, it's some metric shit that no one carries. Once that was done I filled the H/E and turned the ignition on so the water could circulate. I know the pump is running but I was surprised to not see the water n the H/E moving at all.

Please continue..... why no water moving?

Comment

This is a wild task to pull off mid season, but if anyone is capable of doing it.... that would be you! Fingers crossed you get it all buttoned up and ready to go! We're heading out thurs night.

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Mamba View Post

Please continue..... why no water moving?
                Not sure why I don't see it moving. It's a small system and I expected to see something, but maybe it is moving water and I'm not seeing it. Don't know.

Originally posted by Empire231 View Post
                This is a wild task to pull off mid season, but if anyone is capable of doing it.... that would be you! Fingers crossed you get it all buttoned up and ready to go! We're heading out thurs night.
                Thanks man. Not at all the smartest thing I've ever done but as the saying goes- if it were easy, everyone would be doing it...

I'm loaded up, hooked up and ready to roll out. I drove the RV and trailer to work tonight and took 2 hours of 'personal time' so my relief gets here at 4 AM and I'm headed straight to Roadrunner.

Name:	20200210_161236.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	3.98 MB
ID:	32300
                LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
                RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
                WELDING & FABRICATION
                CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

Looking forward to a trip report! I hope the upgrade was worth the work.

Comment

Horrible cell phone service this weekend so not many updates. I've put 17 miles on the car in the dunes and had some minor issues but so far solved them all. Car has so much more lower than my old LS7.

Name:	20200212_150505.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	4.57 MB
ID:	32306
                    LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
                    RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
                    WELDING & FABRICATION
                    CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

• Finally found a good spot 20' away from my trailer where I get cell service.

Issues-

Found a loose fuel line, tightened it.
                      Let it idle while changing RPMs to let it break in more.

Oir small group went for a run to Swingset and inwas 3rd in line. About a mile from campu water temp jet climbing. Dammit. It got to 230° so I flipped a bitch and headed back to RRE. Bu then thentemp said 260°. Fugh. I parked it and the radiator cap was steaming and water was pouring out of the overflow bottle. Not good.

Duanez Bill and Dave got back and we lolled for the problem. Duane had a temp gun and checked the engine block and said it was only reading 175° in most spots. Weird. We figured I didn't get it burped good enough and there was an air pocket in the block. My steam ports above the water lump are blocked and the two on the back of the engine go to the radiator. Pretty normal way to do it. I cracked one open and nothing came out so there was air in the block. I carefully ip3n3e the radiator cap and it was really low. I topped it off and cracked both steam ports until I saw water. Infores it ho and could.see water circulation in the radiator. Good sign.

Ae fired it up and let it get to 180° and neither fan came on. I pulled the 30amp fuses and both were blown. We replaced them and I went for a test drive putting a mile in it around RRE. I could hear the fans cycling on and off and then it started to get hot again. I want back toncsmp smd.found the right fan had blon the fuse again. I called JAC and he said the wire is big e kigh and shirt enough that a 40ampnfise would be safe to run. My buddy Corey had one and I went for another drive.

All seemed seemed good running around 190° so went headed out to Swingset again. I was glued to the gauges and never saw above 195°. Problem solved!

The car feels amazing. Tins ofnlower and I can pitch it into corners and blip the throttle to turn. Couldn't ever do that with the LS7. Then I noticed my power steering would go out and almost.lock up at low RPM in corners. Dammit.
                      LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
                      RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
                      WELDING & FABRICATION
                      CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

• bad ass. You’ll work the bugs out. Glad you got it put back together in time for prez day- seriously impressive

wheres the wheelie pics

Comment

• Originally posted by L.R.S. View Post
                          Finally found a good spot 20' away from my trailer where I get cell service.

Issues-

Oir small group went for a run to Swingset and inwas 3rd in line. About a mile from campu water temp jet climbing. Dammit. It got to 230° so I flipped a bitch and headed back to RRE. Bu then thentemp said 260°. Fugh. I parked it and the radiator cap was steaming and water was pouring out of the overflow bottle. Not good.

Duanez Bill and Dave got back and we lolled for the problem. Duane had a temp gun and checked the engine block and said it was only reading 175° in most spots. Weird. We figured I didn't get it burped good enough and there was an air pocket in the block. My steam ports above the water lump are blocked and the two on the back of the engine go to the radiator. Pretty normal way to do it. I cracked one open and nothing came out so there was air in the block. I carefully ip3n3e the radiator cap and it was really low. I topped it off and cracked both steam ports until I saw water. Infores it ho and could.see water circulation in the radiator. Good sign.

Ae fired it up and let it get to 180° and neither fan came on. I pulled the 30amp fuses and both were blown. We replaced them and I went for a test drive putting a mile in it around RRE. I could hear the fans cycling on and off and then it started to get hot again. I want back toncsmp smd.found the right fan had blon the fuse again. I called JAC and he said the wire is big e kigh and shirt enough that a 40ampnfise would be safe to run. My buddy Corey had one and I went for another drive.

All seemed seemed good running around 190° so went headed out to Swingset again. I was glued to the gauges and never saw above 195°. Problem solved!

The car feels amazing. Tins ofnlower and I can pitch it into corners and blip the throttle to turn. Couldn't ever do that with the LS7. Then I noticed my power steering would go out and almost.lock up at low RPM in corners. Dammit.
                          Glad you're working it out. And judging by your spelling, the cocktails are working well too!
                          Last edited by Grey Mamba; 02-13-2020, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Finally found a good spot 20' away from my trailer where I get cell service.

Issues-

Always some growing pains with a new combo, but at least you're on track to getting it sorted out.

Motion Raceworks and others make some really nice steam-port kits for LSs:
                            https://www.texas-speed.com/p-7395-m...-vent-kit.aspx

IDK if those would fit under the lower manifold for the blower though, I assume not? That said, once you bleed it once the way you did it really "should" be fine until the system is opened again.

What kind of fans are you running? 40amp draw seems really high - might be time to swap the fines for some nice brushless units? You'll move more air and should be able to go back to the 30 amp fuses (even though you're safe for 40s).

As for the power (and torque), I'm definitely not shocked. Even a basic pump-gas LS2 blower motor will out HP and Torque a high-end build NA LS7 like I had. The best mine did in my car was 590ish RWHP and I think it was 530 RWHP at that stage. I think Duane said the same motor with a little more cam and compression is doing ~630 RWHP in Cody's car now. Still, a mild stroker LS2 with a blower on 91 will do 630+ RWHP and probably more like 650 RWTQ whereas the NA motor will be in the lower/mid-500s for RWTQ. I'm just st00pid and threw tons of $$$$$$ at doing it the hard way (NA) because... because... shit why did I do that?
                            Last edited by tjZ06; 02-14-2020, 11:36 AM.
                            -TJ

"You can lead a horse to water... but you can't make it dune"

Comment

• Originally posted by Grey Mamba View Post

Glad you're working it out. And judging my your spelling, the cocktails are working well too!
                              I went back and corrected all the spelling but it didn't post. But yeah, I was good and liquored up last night.

Warming it up for a morning ride right now.
                              LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
                              RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
                              WELDING & FABRICATION
                              CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

I went back and corrected all the spelling but it didn't post. But yeah, I was good and liquored up last night.

Warming it up for a morning ride right now.
                                Warming up for the morning ride at 10:18am... shoot you're on "TJ time."
                                -TJ

"You can lead a horse to water... but you can't make it dune"

Comment

Working...
                                X