Time for boost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jc_whipsandjacks View Post
    You are really are lucky to have all the contacts. With all the combos of bell housing, clutches, throw outs, and pilots sometimes it really hard to know what we need. I had my trans out for service and got a new throw out from the trans guy and it wouldn't go over the throw out sleeve. I had to put it on my lathe and bore out the plastic a little.
    With the amount of these types of jobs I do I really should take better pics/notes so when it comes up again I can refer back to them. But I'm not that smart.

Originally posted by Grey Mamba View Post
    Good stuff here. And it's great you can call the pros. And that makes it easy for us. We just call you!
    You'd be surprised at how many calls, texts, PM's, and DM's I get asking me questions. I really don't mind and I'll give an honest answer every time. And if I don't know I'll say exactly that. But sometimes I get questions that make me think, bro, you have the entire world in the palm of your hand, Google that shit. I'm not picking on any one particular person if you happen to have asked me these questions so don't get all butt hurt-

Hey man, should I use copper or nickle anti-seize?

Either is fine, just use some. This is an understandable question

Hey man, what's the torque spec on CV bolts?

What size bolts? 7/16" or 1/2"? This is a Google question, or Hey Siri, what is the torque spec on a 1/2 grade 8 bolt?

What oil should I run in my engine?

Who built it? This is an engine builder question and should be asked to the specific builder

But the most annoying are the questions I answer and then get a reply saying that they were told something different.

Hey man, what do you run for coolant? Red or Green?

For the past 4 seasons I have ran straight tap water and one bottle of Water Wetter. But this season I put a gallon of Green coolant in and topped it off with tap water.

My buddy said you have to run Green coolant to lubricate the water pump.

Ok, run Green coolant.

The transport questions are even worse then the tech stuff.

How much to haul my car from Ontario to Glamis?

$600

Do you charge by the mile?

Yes, Glamis is 250 miles one way from my shop.

But it's only 200 from my house.

My shop is 50 miles further.

Ok, so that's round trip?

No that's one way.

Really? $1200 to get it there and back?

Yes, that's 500 miles each trip totaling 1000 miles. I get 12mpg towing, diesel is $3.75/gallon and I will use ~80 gallons = about $300 in fuel alone. 1000 miles averaging 55mph is 18 hours, not counting loading and unloading time or traffic. $1200- $300 = $900/18 hours is $50/hour, not counting wear/tear on my truck and trailer. Seems like good money but my shop rate is $75/hr.

Anyone know why I sub out most of my transports lately? Wrenching is more better.

Alright, back on topic...
    LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
    RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
    WELDING & FABRICATION
    CAD DESIGN & WATER JET
    FULLY INSURED TRANSPORTATION SERVICES

Comment

I'm not supposed to be wrenching on my car because I have 3 other cars in my shop that need to get finished but I did a couple of things to mine...

I pulled the wiring harness for my LS7 out, minus the relays. Hopefully, I can leave those in the car under the rear seat. But here's my newest dilemma- the wiring harness for my new LS2 is short, meaning the ECU is meant to mount really close to the engine, like on top of the bell housing. My LS7 harness was long and mounted under the rear seat. I was pretty sure I'd need to buy a longer harness but that's another $650, plus wiring it up to my relays. I called my wiring guy JAX Motorsports and we discussed my options. Jack is a dealer for Holley and asked if I wanted to ditch the MEFI 4b and go to a Holley Terminator. I know several people, including someone on D&D I think, switched to a Terminator and was happy with it. He gave me some prices and options for the ECU and engine harness. I said that sounded great but Chris at Danzio is going to tune my car for e85 and he WILL NOT touch a Holley. He only works with LIFE Racing ECU's or MEFI 4b, and he doesn't really like the MEFI's. But he and I are mates so he'll do one for me.

I told Jack I didn't want to switch to a Holley just yet and I need to use the MEFI 4b and LS2 harness (24 reluctor) I already have to try and stay on some kind of a budget. He said he misunderstood and thought I only had a harness and MEFI tuned for my LS7 (58 reluctor). I told him I can get a longer LS2 harness from CBM for about $650. He said don't bother, we can mount the MEFI near the bell housing and he can make an extension for the relays to stay under the rear seat and reach the MEFI. That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Use what I already have! I told him I can bring the car to him whenever he has a spot for me and he said hopefully sometime later this week.

Next hurdle- I put my headers on and found a new problem. This LS2 has the alternator mounted low and on the left (driver's ) side of the engine. The flange for the merged collector is right next to the alternator. The flanges will mate up but the V band clamp will not clear. Fuck me.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200121_171331.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.41 MB ID:	32007

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200121_173017.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.26 MB ID:	32008 I hit up my buddy Dave at Hothead Headers and he said no problem, just get it to him and he'll fix it. Hopefully, I can get it to Hothead and then straight to JAX. That would be perfect cause they're both kinda sorta near each other.

I swear I'm NOT working on my car tomorrow. I am loading it in my enclosed and shutting the door until two of the three cars I have here are prepped and ready to go. One just needs a seat I repaired installed and it's ready to go, and the other needs a Mendeola S5 installed, CV's and axles installed, my old LS7 installed, and then transported to San Diego for plumbing and wiring before going to Danzio for tuning. Why is Danzio tuning my old LS7? Because the car it's going in already has a LIFE Racing ECU and harness so no one else can tune it.

Then I can work on Schmack Buggy Works car and mine.
      LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
      RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
      WELDING & FABRICATION
      CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

Can you use your existing fuel lines, regulator, fuel tank, etc when switching from gas to E85? Or does all the plumbing need to be new?

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Mamba View Post
          Can you use your existing fuel lines, regulator, fuel tank, etc when switching from gas to E85? Or does all the plumbing need to be new?
          I upgraded to PTFE fuel lines during the makeover so I'm good there. My fuel cell will be fine as well. But then there's my Aeromotive A1000 fuel pump. Chris at Danzio said it may be undersized or right on the edge of being big enough for e85. Not wanting it to have issues when he tunes it I went ahead and bought a brand new Aeromotive Intimidator pump.

So I will have a 2 season old Aeromotive A1000 for sale soon. I also have a set of Aeromotive pre and post filters.
          LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
          RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
          WELDING & FABRICATION
          CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

i have the holley i like it the main reason was i couldnt get anyone to tune the mefi here and there isnt a dyno in nj that the car will fit on. I had a friend set up the holley initially with a conservative timing map and a base fuel map. it learns and adjust the fuel and builds the fuel table its self runs closed loop with a wide ban o2. im no tuner im sure i can get alot more out of it with a little tuning just havent had the time out there to mess with it and i can wheelie just about anywhere i want so its good enuf. you are going to love the SC

Comment

Originally posted by L.R.S. View Post

I upgraded to PTFE fuel lines during the makeover so I'm good there. My fuel cell will be fine as well. But then there's my Aeromotive A1000 fuel pump. Chris at Danzio said it may be undersized or right on the edge of being big enough for e85. Not wanting it to have issues when he tunes it I went ahead and bought a brand new Aeromotive Intimidator pump.

So I will have a 2 season old Aeromotive A1000 for sale soon. I also have a set of Aeromotive pre and post filters.
              Along with the bigger fuel pump did you get bigger injectors? Sorry I read everything but dont remember reading bigger injectors. If your not getting bigger injectors what size do you already have?

Kevin
              2011 2500 Denali Duramax
              2007 WW LE3505
              2005 YFZ450
              New toy coming soon

Comment

Originally posted by yfzkevin View Post

Along with the bigger fuel pump did you get bigger injectors? Sorry I read everything but dont remember reading bigger injectors. If your not getting bigger injectors what size do you already have?

Kevin
                Good call man. I will for sure need bigger injectors. Talked to Bruce at CBM and he figured 80#. A good friend has several sets in various sizes I'm going to borrow and hope they work. If not, I'll end up with whatever Danzio uses to get the most out of the dyno run.
                LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
                RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
                WELDING & FABRICATION
                CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

Good call man. I will for sure need bigger injectors. Talked to Bruce at CBM and he figured 80#. A good friend has several sets in various sizes I'm going to borrow and hope they work. If not, I'll end up with whatever Danzio uses to get the most out of the dyno run.
                  If you're going E85 and have to re-wire shit anyway, just do the Holley now. It's a SO much better system and I *think* it will interface your current dash, but they have plenty of dash options if not. The Holley can run a flex fuel sensor and adjusts itself for the actual E% you're getting. IMHO if you're going E that's so much better than what you can do with a 4B. If you have a 4B the safest thing you can do is tune for about E70 (mix-down to E70 for your dyno session) then EVERY tank you need to test your fuel and mix-down to E70. That sounds horrible to me.

-TJ

"You can lead a horse to water... but you can't make it dune"

Comment

I wouldn’t even waste the time dealing with the mefi. Everyone I know who goes boosted with a mefi ends up supremely disappointed shortly there after. Although I’m sure Danzio will put a good tune to it, there are so many variables the mefi won’t see. It’s a step above a carburetor in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by tjZ06 View Post

If you're going E85 and have to re-wire shit anyway, just do the Holley now.
                      The only re-wiring is making an extension for the relays to the short MEFI harness, not a huge deal. And, yes, my Racepak dash is a stand-alone unit and doesn't get any signals from the MEFI so it will work with whatever ECU I have.

Originally posted by LLCoolJT View Post
                      I wouldn’t even waste the time dealing with the mefi.
                      I respect what you guys are saying but-

Changing to a Holley is about $2000 for the ECU and harness. Yes, the Holley will be better because MEFI is 30 year old technology and has its limitations. But Danzio will not tune a Holley. They will tune my MEFI because we have history from when I was racing and I was very candid with Chris when we spoke in person and I told him exactly what I had and what I wanted to do. If he thought my MEFI wasn't going to work or wasn't going to give me the power he and I are expecting from the e85 then I'm sure he would have said he can't tune it and I would need to step up to a LIFE Racing system. For all I know he may get the car on the dyno, have nothing but problems, and call and tell me it's not going to work and I need to go with LIFE or stick with pump gas. I'm hoping that doesn't happen.
                      LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
                      RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
                      WELDING & FABRICATION
                      CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

Hadn't read anything about the filters but make sure you switch out the post filter for the e85 compatible one. Or Weldon makes a 10M stainless filter and then no more replacement cartridges.
                        East Bound and Down .... To Glamis!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RootBeerFloats View Post
                          Hadn't read anything about the filters but make sure you switch out the post filter for the e85 compatible one. Or Weldon makes a 10M stainless filter and then no more replacement cartridges.
                          Good call man. I have a Holley hydramat in my fuel cell so I only have a 10 micron paper post filter. I'll do some research to make sure that's going to work for e85.
                          LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
                          RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
                          WELDING & FABRICATION
                          CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

Good call man. I have a Holley hydramat in my fuel cell so I only have a 10 micron paper post filter. I'll do some research to make sure that's going to work for e85.
                            Cool, yeah aeromotive has another 12650 which is a micro glass for alcohol and ethanol fuels.

I'd also check what the hydramat is rated for HP wise. I talked to harmon back when I had the jeep but can't remember what they said ....
                            East Bound and Down .... To Glamis!!!

Comment

the paper will not work with e85. the fuel east the glue and paper
                              JC Whips and Shyt For all your whip and Sand Jack Needs
                              Check out my Instagram jc_whipsandshyt
                              858-692-7211

Comment

Originally posted by jc_whipsandjacks View Post

the paper will not work with e85. the fuel east the glue and paper
                                E85 sounds like a horrible idea.
                                LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
                                RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
                                WELDING & FABRICATION
                                CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

Working...
                                X