Time for boost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for boost

Well, it's kinda the middle or last 1/3 of the season so why not pull my 2 season-long reliable engine, install a new power plant, plumb and wire it, have it dyno'd and ready to go for my President's week trip? Because I want more power an the opportunity popped up.

Back story-

My local neighbors/friends known as the Hall's have a stable of off-road toys I prep and maintain. They live 3 blocks away and drive their cars over when they need work. It's pretty convenient. 4 seasons ago the youngest son hit me up on IG and asked if I could help them with a long plagued Buckshot X5 that never seemed to make it through an entire weekend in the sand without breaking. I said I was very familiar with Buckshot's because we had two as prerunners for the race team I was on. They drove it over and I prepped the car including changing the power steering pump and did the CV's and axles. The next trip out the car had zero issues and they were very happy. In 2017, around Halloween, they called me from Pad 3 and said the Buckshot had smoke coming out the exhaust and it was bad. I went to check it out and the engine was wasted. This was originally a Buckshot built LS2 with a supercharger and they had so many problems they took it to Redline to be rebuilt. The Redline engine worked well for a few seasons, then for some reason it broke. They decided to take it to Redline and have it gone through. The Hall's were told the LS2 block was wasted and it would be about $30k to replicate this engine, which was supposed to be 750hp (I don't know if that's true) and it wouldn't be done until after New Year's. They asked me for advice and I said I could get them a much better deal on a LS3 with a 4.0 Whipple from CBM and they had it in stock ready to install. The dad, Robert, asked if I could get the engine installed and ready before their Thanksgiving trip, about 4 weeks away. I said no problem! So that's what my partner Brad and I did. We had to change the wiring and while working on that Brad found that the power wire to the intercooler pump had been cut and it wasn't pumping. This explained why the LS2 had blown up- it got really really hot and the water in the intercooler (under the SC) had boiled and burned a hole through the cooler spraying water into the engine.

We got the new engine installed and out to CBM for a dyno tune before Thanksgiving and it was ready for their trip. They were very happy and bought a used Funco Gen 6 to add to their collection. I asked what they wanted to do with the blown-up LS2 and Robert said to fix it and he'd find a use for it. So we bought a brand new block, pistons, etc, and rebuilt it. We took the intercooler to a shop that rebuilds them (I forget where) and ended up getting a brand new set up. They also looked at the screws and said this supercharger should make up to 8psi.

I added up what we had into the engine and offered to buy it from the Hall's and they'd make a small profit. Robert said he'd rather have it for another project. A few months later he decided to sell it and put it on GD.com for $14k. It had some interest and lots of lowball offers from the usual no-ball-low-ballers over there and it didn't sell. two years later it's still in the exact same place I set it in their garage. And I'm damn glad it is!

Chapter II-

A while ago a client asked how I liked my LS7 and I said I loved it but would really like more power. But this engine is so reliable that I didn't want to change it up. I'd rather sell it to fund buying or building an LS3/Whipple. That same client called me over New Year's week and said he had engine problems and wanted me to check his car, so I had it transported to my partner Brad's house. This client also asked me for a price on my LS7 because his buddy was looking o replace his NA LS2 in his car. I gave him a price on my complete engine- all front accessories, engine harness, ECU and dry sump tank/plumbing, basically a plug and play engine minus my clutch and headers. I also told him his engine was really bad- the intake valve had broken off and was stuck sideways in the head and the exhaust valve had broken off and was actually up in the intake manifold. It was going to be at least 6 weeks before the machine shop would have it ready. Sorry to say but his season was over.

The next day he called and said he'd buy my engine for my asking price if I could have it installed in his car and sent to Danzio for a tune before his President's Day trip. Well, shit, sure, I'll get it done.

My next call was to the Hall's to make them an offer on that brand new LS2 we had built them two years go. Robert said he'd only sell it if it was going into my car. So that's how I ended up with a new engine in the last 1/3 of the 2019/20 Glamis season. Nd now I have about 4 weeks to get it installed, wired, plumbed, and out to Danzio for a tune. I also have 4 other cars I'm working on so this schedule is going to be tight.

And here it is...

Click image for larger version

Name:	62634.jpeg
Views:	399
Size:	755.5 KB
ID:	31918

Name:	62635.jpeg
Views:	354
Size:	702.1 KB
ID:	31919

Name:	62638.jpeg
Views:	344
Size:	749.4 KB
ID:	31920

Name:	69342.jpeg
Views:	344
Size:	420.1 KB
ID:	31921

Name:	69344.jpeg
Views:	347
Size:	422.3 KB
ID:	31922

Name:	69343.jpeg
Views:	342
Size:	475.3 KB
ID:	31923
    LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
    RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
    WELDING & FABRICATION
    CAD DESIGN & WATER JET
    FULLY INSURED TRANSPORTATION SERVICES

Thats bad ass, you will really like that extra power. Going to be a whole new, whole new car.

Comment

The I want more power rabbit hole. Welcome. Can’t wait to see this making some boost passes.

Comment

MORE POWA the never ending quest awesome man congrats
        JC Whips and Shyt For all your whip and Sand Jack Needs
        Check out my Instagram jc_whipsandshyt
        858-692-7211

Comment

LUCKY!

I need more power...

so what is the estimated HP this will put out Vs the old setup?

Comment

As you would say L.R.S. : WHAT WHAT!?!

Your car is going to love a SC'ed motor - that low end torque is what your tank (I say that in a good way) needs. As you've learned from me, you can make a lot of power NA but in the long-run it's more expensive and you'll never have the same torque.

-TJ

"You can lead a horse to water... but you can't make it dune"

Comment

You need that power to keep up ha ha ha. Just kidding kinda.. congrats! Can’t wait to see done. I think my next trip out is the funco regatta.

Comment

Sometimes I'm glad I can't afford more horsepower... usually I'm not.

Comment

Excited to see this build thread progress!

Comment

Thanks everyone! I'm really excited to get going on this and as usual, it couldn't have come at a worse time! My plan is to get started immediately but jobs keep popping up and after not doing a lot of prep before the holidays I felt obligated to get two cars done before MLK weekend. Both of those cars were finished yesterday and out of my shop today. Feels good to meet my commitments and make sure my clients have reliable cars to take to the dunes.

So here's my plan for the next few days-

Pick up my hoist a buddy borrowed and go get my new LS2 from the Hall's and get it into my shop
                    Get my enclosed from storage and pull the car out at my house
                    Leak-down and compression check the LS7
                    Pull panels and store them
                    Drain fluids
                    Pull the LS7
                    Pull the clutch and flywheel off the LS7 and install on the LS2
                    Install the LS2
                    Start on swapping the engine wiring harness (58 reluctor to a 24 reluctor) which sucks because it would have saved an entire day of wiring if this older LS2 had a 58 reluctor
                    Buy an intercooler
                    Figure out where the IC will mount. Most likely in front of the radiator, just need to figure out the mounts.
                    Plumb the IC and wire the pump to the ignition

Last week while on deliveries I stopped by Danzio to talk to Chris Muzio, the owner. I've known Chris for many years and they used to tune our Class 1 car engine and I've transported countless sand cars to/from his shop. Chris and I were getting caught up on sand car and race team gossip and I told him I needed a tune on a LS7. He needs to tune it because the car my engine is going in has his LIFE Racing electronics. We set a date for Jan 20th, or someday that week, kind of an open appointment. I then hit him with my new LS2/Magnuson story. He said he'd be happy to tune it for me, even with the MEFI 4b. AS much as I'd love a LIFE Racing ECU it's not in the budget right now, not even the stripped-down version. But someday I'll have one. I asked him about going to e85 and he told me that a N/A LS engine will make 20-30hp on e85. Most boosted engines can make a much as 100hp. Fuck me, another 100hp on top of the 100hp I'm getting from the Magnuson? Yeah, let's do that! I told him my fuel lines were brand new PTFE and I had a Aeromotive A1000 fuel pump. My LS2/Magnuson was said to be 750hp from Redline so we will guess it at 850hp on the corn fuel. Chris said my A1000 pump will be right on the edge of not big enough but we can try it. Or I can install a new pump now. Not wanting to have anything questionable while they are tuning it I stopped by CBM today and bought an Aeromotive Eliminator fuel pump, aka the 'black pump' that was so popular a few years ago when 1500hp was the big number. It has the same footprint as the A1000 and it's an easy swap.

So, I have a two season old Aeromotive A1000 for sale... if anyone needs it?

I have a transport job for Funco tomorrow morning and it's supposed to rain all day so not sure if I'll get the car unloaded or even get the LS2 over to my shop. But I will do what I can in between downpours. Every minute counts for this swap and the two cars I'm prepping for President's Day weekend.

LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
                    RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
                    WELDING & FABRICATION
                    CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

Can’t wait to see dbjuan rippin wheelies through the dunes!

get busy

Comment

This is going to be great. Looking forward to the progress and the fab work!

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Mamba View Post
                          This is going to be great. Looking forward to the progress and the fab work!
                          But the real question is will you go for a ride with me again?
                          LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
                          RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
                          WELDING & FABRICATION
                          CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

Our cars are becoming more similar with every upgrade. Your new motor looks like mine

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by L.R.S. View Post

But the real question is will you go for a ride with me again?
                              Sure! Just need a few extra BL's in the system first!

Comment

Working...
                              X