Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• relays

bosch vs hella vs napa etc

is there any difference between these for 5 pin relays? My wiring has 6 relays, I tested them and they are all good... but I can hear a good amount of sand in there, and I am thinking of putting some new ones in.

These are what I run
    https://www.kartek.com/parts/hella-w...ost-relay.html

https://www.kartek.com/parts/hella-i...ni-relays.html

Comment

Mine look like these, but are bosch brand... definitely not weather proof like the ones you posted

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161227_204659.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	5.86 MB
ID:	31388

Comment

I had some relay trouble this past trip. I came to the conclusion that relays are probably very unhappy in the conditions we use them in. So much vibration and the elements that they are exposed to. I have decided to make them a maintenance item probably change them out every 2 years
          JC Whips and Shyt For all your whip and Sand Jack Needs
          Check out my Instagram jc_whipsandshyt
          858-692-7211

Comment

Originally posted by jc_whipsandjacks View Post
            I had some relay trouble this past trip. I came to the conclusion that relays are probably very unhappy in the conditions we use them in. So much vibration and the elements that they are exposed to. I have decided to make them a maintenance item probably change them out every 2 years
            Yeah I was surprised at how much sand I can hear in there when I shake it.

Comment

These are the ones I use.
              https://www.waytekwire.com/item/4609...y-Module-70A-/
              They are good up to 70 amps & are solid state. Under the cover next to the stud is a fuse. They are simple & work well.

Comment

Originally posted by nexrace View Post
                These are the ones I use.
                https://www.waytekwire.com/item/4609...y-Module-70A-/
                They are good up to 70 amps & are solid state. Under the cover next to the stud is a fuse. They are simple & work well.
                Those look nice. Any pics of them installed?

Comment

Another option for eliminating relays is the Switch Pro panel. When my wiring guy installed my first SP panel three seasons ago it replaced 6 relays for my lights, fresh air pumpers, and siren. I still have the mandatory relays for the fuel pump, trans pump, and both radiator fans. I use the big Hella relays.

Those can fail too though. I'll see if I can find an example and post up a pic.
                  LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
                  RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
                  WELDING & FABRICATION
                  CAD DESIGN & WATER JET
                  FULLY INSURED TRANSPORTATION SERVICES

Comment

So my problem ended up being a cheap 12 pin connector and not the relays. I ordered all new bosch relays anyway to pop in, since I can hear the sand in them... and I'll keep the old ones as spares.

I think if I keep this car another season or two, I see switch pros and some mil spec type connectors in the loom down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by L.R.S. View Post
                      Another option for eliminating relays is the Switch Pro panel. When my wiring guy installed my first SP panel three seasons ago it replaced 6 relays for my lights, fresh air pumpers, and siren. I still have the mandatory relays for the fuel pump, trans pump, and both radiator fans. I use the big Hella relays.

Those can fail too though. I'll see if I can find an example and post up a pic.
                      I did the same thing with my car. I now only have a fuel pump relay, intercooler fan, and engine fans. Everything else is off the switch pro

Comment

Originally posted by punkur67 View Post

I did the same thing with my car. I now only have a fuel pump relay, intercooler fan, and engine fans. Everything else is off the switch pro
                        I don’t have a switch pro and I only use relays for the above mentioned things. All my lights are led so I just run them to a switch that handles the amps that those put out. Relays can be redundant and an added point of failure.

Comment

Working...
                        X