930 midboard hub prep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 930 midboard hub prep

Grey Mamba was doing his seasonal prep on his Gear One 930 midboard hubs and notice that one CV body was sticking out a hair more than the other. He brought them to me for a tear down and inspection.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190702_175144.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.71 MB ID:	29140
    Always a good idea to mark right and left.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190702_175148.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.44 MB ID:	29141But to make future work easier I stamped them with an L and R.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190721_220142.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.06 MB ID:	29142

Admittedly I've never prepped a set of Gear One 930 midboards. I've done a shit ton of 934's, just never 930's.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190721_220151.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.57 MB ID:	29143First thing I noticed was the 'extra' inner seal. On a 934 hub this seal and a soft rubber seal and seats all the way down against the hub face. This 930 inner seal seats about 1/4" from the hub face.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190721_220154.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.70 MB ID:	29144All the other parts are the same as a 934, just a little smaller.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190721_221456.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.25 MB ID:	29145Used my 'go-to' old gas/e85 mix to clean all the parts up.

LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
    RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
    WELDING & FABRICATION
    CAD DESIGN & WATER JET
    FULLY INSURED TRANSPORTATION SERVICES

I was able to use my press and a spare 930 CV body to press out the seal and bearing on the hub. I do this whenever possible to avoid damaging the seals so they can be reused. Both small seals popped out easily in the press. No pics cause I was fingertips to elbows covered in CV and bearing grease.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190721_220806.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.68 MB ID:	29147
    Overall the hubs look really good. I'm used to seeing some gouging on the hub face where the bearing seats caused by over-tightening the CV bolts but these aren't nearly as bad as some I've seen.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190721_220802.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.78 MB ID:	29148

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190721_220757.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.71 MB ID:	29149The large inner seal came out clean so I wiped it down and reinstalled it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190721_224719.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.52 MB ID:	29150All torn down and ready for inspection.
    LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
    RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
    WELDING & FABRICATION
    CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

Always a fun job, I tore my gear one 930 hubs down a couple times and kept having play in them, finally figured out the spacing was wrong and had to take .025 or so (can’t remember exactly) off the cv body to get them working right.

we took the material off the body of the cv because at the time gear one was shut down and didn’t want to damage any of the non replaceable parts.

not sure if it was your post or someone else’s on gd but someone else had to do the same thing to get rid of the oaky in their gear one hubs.

Comment

Originally posted by Azduner453 View Post
        Always a fun job, I tore my gear one 930 hubs down a couple times and kept having play in them, finally figured out the spacing was wrong and had to take .025 or so (can’t remember exactly) off the cv body to get them working right.

we took the material off the body of the cv because at the time gear one was shut down and didn’t want to damage any of the non replaceable parts.

not sure if it was your post or someone else’s on gd but someone else had to do the same thing to get rid of the oaky in their gear one hubs.
        I'm pretty sure it was fabr on this board that had the same issue. I need to look up that thread and get some tips.
        LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
        RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
        WELDING & FABRICATION
        CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

https://www.glamisdunes.com/invision...aring-slop-or/

heres the thread

Comment

Originally posted by Azduner453 View Post
            I remember that thread, even posted a few comments on it. Here's the one I was thinking of-

https://forums.duneanddirt.com/forum...mid-board-hubs
            LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
            RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
            WELDING & FABRICATION
            CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

Originally posted by L.R.S. View Post

I remember that thread, even posted a few comments on it. Here's the one I was thinking of-

https://forums.duneanddirt.com/forum...-mid-board-ubs

I remember that one! That’s actually the post that brought me to this forum!

Comment

Got a package from Kartek yesterday with the new bearing and a small tube of NEO HP800 full synthetic wheel bearing grease.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190723_211733.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.48 MB ID:	29180 New bearing actually wasn't that expensive, around $120.

This is the bearing being replaced-

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190723_211745.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.04 MB ID:	29181

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190723_211752.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.96 MB ID:	29182

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190723_211757.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.61 MB ID:	29183

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_9808.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	3.73 MB
ID:	29184
                LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
                RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
                WELDING & FABRICATION
                CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

So the inner race was moving around the CV? Or the bearing cage dented? Trying to understand what I'm seeing thx
                  JC Whips and Shyt For all your whip and Sand Jack Needs
                  Check out my Instagram jc_whipsandshyt
                  858-692-7211

Comment

Originally posted by jc_whipsandjacks View Post
                    So the inner race was moving around the CV? Or the bearing cage dented? Trying to understand what I'm seeing thx
                    The race hasn't moved that I can see and it looks fine. Not sure how the cage got so many dents in it but maybe from whoever prepped these the last time during removal or installation. One of the CV's has been machined down an RCH so the outside (hub side) bearing just slide right off. The other CV wasn't machined and the bearing had to be gently tapped off.
                    LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
                    RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
                    WELDING & FABRICATION
                    CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

Cool! Now you will familiar with them when I bring mine to you!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt86m View Post
                        Cool! Now you will familiar with them when I bring mine to you!
                        Grey Mamba can do your hubs but I get a cut since I taught him how to do his.
                        LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
                        RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
                        WELDING & FABRICATION
                        CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

Grey Mamba has been to the L.R.S. School of Off-Road Prep before and he had another class last night. It's fun to show someone how to work on their own equipment and I'm glad he was able to get through the LA traffic and valley temps to make it to my house.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190724_182500.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.42 MB ID:	29354Double gloved Dave works the Neo HP800 full synthetic wheel bearing grease into the bearing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190724_182521.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.09 MB ID:	29355

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190724_182730.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.28 MB ID:	29357The hub is clean, inner seal installed and CV body set in place.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190724_182928.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.01 MB ID:	29358
                          The outside (or hub side) bearing is slipped over the CV body and pushed down to the hub. The excess grease was wiped off of the CV prior to the next step.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190724_182525.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.67 MB ID:	29356 The bearing carrier is cleaned up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190724_183434.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.70 MB ID:	29359Inside (trans side) bearing is set in place.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190724_190638.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.64 MB ID:	29360The bearing carrier is set into the hub and carefully worked back and forth so it can seat into the inner seal.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190724_190641.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.28 MB ID:	29361Whenever I resue a seal I put a little Loctite around the edge.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190724_192118.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.06 MB ID:	29362The seal is tapped into place and the bolt ring is pushed into the seal. Line up the CV bolt holes and a drop of red Locktite to each hole and run the bolts in. I use my bench vise to hold the hub in place while I torque the CV bolts. I go 30, 40 and final pass at 50 lb/ft. I also spin the hub to make sure it moves freely after each pass. These hubs are done.

This was a fun and quick prep job (even though Dave brought them to me like 3 weeks ago). Taking the hubs off makes prepping them much easier, and takes up wayyyy less space in my small shop.
                          LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
                          RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
                          WELDING & FABRICATION
                          CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

Thanks for taking a picture of my good side Jeff.

I wanted to learn how to do this and Jeff always has patience to walk me through it. And I encouraged L.R.S. to give the step-by-step photo demonstration because I know there must be others out there who are confused on how these Gear One Midboards go together. Even from reading all the previous write-ups on this, I still hard a hard time conceptualizing how they all fit together.

One thing I learned. The red outer seal needed a pretty good thump from a heavy rubber mallet to get seated correctly. But it's strong and can handle it. So don't be shy with it.

This is really pretty easy and not nearly as messy as CV prep. Just assemble in the order above.

LRS has a trick to pull the outer seal without damaging it. Do tell Jeff.

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Mamba View Post
                              LRS has a trick to pull the outer seal without damaging it. Do tell Jeff.
                              I use my Harbour Freight press to get the seal out clean, and very likely reusable. I place the bearing carrier with the seal face down and use a spare 934 CV body to press the existing CV and seal out. Thought I had some pics of it but can't find them.
                              LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
                              RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
                              WELDING & FABRICATION
                              CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

Working...
                              X