Melissa's new Tow Rig: 2019 Ram 1500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jc_whipsandjacks View Post
    The diesels in the jeep is a Fiat motor absolute junk. I help teach Automotive at a Chrysler sponsored school. We have about 10 student actively working in the industry at a dealership. They saying they have nothing but problems with all the Fiat motor and constantly warranty whole motors. Additionally a friend bought on of the diesel Jeeps and the dealer had to buy it back with 500 miles on it
    Yeah, the early years were horrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible. I'm told the later years are much better, but I still wouldn't want one.
    -TJ

"You can lead a horse to water... but you can't make it dune"

Comment

Tint was done...

Click image for larger version

Name:	RamTint1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	24540

Name:	RamTint2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	24541

Name:	RamWithTint3.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	453.3 KB
ID:	24542

-TJ

Comment

Looks good. You really should get some black badges...

Comment

Name:	RAMClean.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	436.2 KB
ID:	24831

Now, if only we had the black badges on...
          -TJ

Comment

Im obviously a ford guy but this thing is super clean!

Comment

Looks super sano TJ!

Comment

Well, the G season has come and gone, and she never towed. As it turned out our 5'er wasn't ready 'til Dec. So when I did my first trip of the season in Oct I just towed the enclosed down, then left it at storage. The 5'er was later delivered to G, so there was no reason for both trucks all season.

For the last trip of the season I changed my plans 400 times (as usual). Melissa had started a new job, so she didn't make the last trip. She could have taken the time off if she'd mentioned it right when she started, but I had another plan for getting the 2nd trailer back. That didn't end up working out (if you're reading this 110% no hard feelings) so I just brought the 5'er back myself and left the enclosed at storage in G. I was trying to get the logistics to work out to make one last short trip, but that didn't happen either. In the end I just had the enclosed brought back a few weeks later. Then we got right into doing dirt trips where we didn't need both trucks, so until this weekend we hadn't put the RAM to work.

So this Sat I went and grabbed the enclosed with my truck and got her RAM dialed in. I helped a friend pickup his RZR anyway, so the timing was good. He had rolled it (a few times now) and it was in for repairs. He only has his TH, but he has a very young son going through some really bad health issues and hasn't had time to go pickup the TH and do all that. No prob, I wanted to at least put Melissa's RZR back in the enclosed anyway - no point in it taking up garage space.

I decided while I had the trailer out anyway, I might as well setup the Andersen no-sway, weight-distribution hitch I got for when we tow the enclosed with her truck: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Her truck is rated for something like 11,400 lbs and the enclosed weighs under 3k lbs empty (verified on a CAT scale). Even with the roll-around toolbox and 2 RZR in it loaded weight will be under 7,500 lbs. We probably didn't "need" the weight-distro, but the easier I can make it tow, the better I figured. Setup on the system wasn't bad, but I think I should have gotten the version with up to a 8" drop/rise vs. the 4" drop/rise I got. It's damn close, but the ball is mounted all the way down and it could probably stand to drop another .5-1". I swear I measured it all before ordering and 4" was going to be perfect.

Anyway, the system itself works REALLY well. When I was setting it up I had a lot of tongue weight in the trailer. Board members mcclure_m, raptor and I had decided to go do a day-trip to Prairie City on Sunday so I loaded Melissa's RZR all the way forward, instead of balancing it in the middle, knowing I was going to go pickup Matt's RZR too. The big roll-around toolbox was still in its usual spot at the front of the trailer as well.

Before I put the Andersen setup on her truck sagged a LOT (with just the usual 5psi you always leave in the bags). Now, to be fair, with the RZR and toolbox way up front and nothing in the back even my truck sags a lot. It's not how you'd ever load it to actually tow. I put the air bags up to 35psi and it still had more sag than I'd want to drive it around with. But I wanted to get the WD hitch setup right with some air in the bags. Once I put the Andersen on and got it dialed in it sat pretty good with the 35psi in the bags.

Then I went over to Matt's (short drive only through town) and loaded his RZR in. I had to drop the bags to 25psi and things sat pretty darn good:

(I would guess around 7k lbs total trailer weight at this point: 3k trailer, 2 x ~1700 lbs RZRs, 400 lbs of tool box and other junk in the cabinets)

As you can see the trailer is a little tongue-up which you never really want. I dropped the bags to 15 which sagged the truck a hair more and it was closer to level, but I really need to get the different shank setup with more drop in it. Ugh. I could crank more pre-load into the WD setup as well, and probably run with little/no air in the bags. I think I'd rather not go crazy with the pre-load in the bags and run a little air in the bags.

Now that I had 2 RZRs (and the toolbox) in the trailer with it balance properly I figured I'd try a good test drive with it. I left his place on the other side of Lincoln and headed out 193 to Sierra College (if you know the area that's a good climb up SC). From Sierra College I got on 80 going East and climbed all the way up and out to highway 49 in Auburn. The on ramp at Sierra College for 80 East is a decent up-hill and I had no issue getting to 70 MPH very quickly. I didn't initially mean to even get going that fast, but the truck pulls great. I could easily keep 65 even up the grades (if you're familiar with this part of 80 there are some decently steep kicks) and just left it on the radar cruise control and let the trans do its own shifting. The 8 speed is a HUGE improvement over previous transmissions in these half-ton RAMs. It always has "the right" gear and the shifts were quick and never felt like there was any shift-flare or "mush" to the shifts, yet they weren't overly harsh either (obv I was in tow-haul and I had the tuner on the truck set to towing, MDS-off).

I also went up to 75 to make sure there was no sway... and it was good and solid. I slowed down to 55 to try to get some big rigs and stuff to pass me. I could feel the rig passing, but it's wasn't bad (you know the feeling when the "wall of air" from the front of a semi first hits the trailer and actually moves the truck a little towards the rig's lane). All-in-all I was very impressed with how the truck towed. Again, power is NOT an issue, and the trans does a great job. Temps were good as well and it was ~85 out. Like all modern, stock vehicles this thing always runs 200-220 coolant temps and 240ish oil temp - but it stayed right there. The trans is always in the 170-190 range and it didn't change either. I know those numbers might sound a little high, but that's how it runs without the trailer and they're the same as her '16 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the same 5.7 Hemi and 8 spd auto were. Heck, on my 335i 250 is the dead center of the oil temp gauge and it goes to something like 340 I think.

The only "problem" I had is it felt like it wanted to turn the truck right when I got on the brakes hard. I thought maybe something was setup wrong on the weight distro hitch (it's kinda complicated how it works, you'd have to watch their vids but if you had the chains way off I guess it could put some weird input on the truck) so I tried tightening the driver's side chain. I also tried going down to almost no air in the bags and going up to a lot (nice to be able to do on the fly with the wireless controller). The one thing I didn't try was turning the gain all the way down on the trailer brakes, or even unplugging it temporarily - and I wish I had. After I un-hitched I took her truck out and hit the brakes hard to see if it was the truck itself that was pulling, and nope, no issue there. The next day I towed the trailer with the exact same load in it with my truck, and sure enough when I got on the brakes hard I could feel it want to turn my truck right a little bit. It's just waaaaaay less obvious with my truck. But I suppose that's to be expected when my truck is 3-4k lbs heavier than hers (probably 3k before you factor in the 5'er hitch still in the bed, the fuel tank/toolbox in the bed that had fuel in it, etc.) and has a much longer wheelbase.

So, now I get to look into the brakes on my nearly brand new enclosed. Hopefully they just need adjustment (which I admittedly haven't done since I got it).
                -TJ

Comment

Originally posted by tjZ06 View Post
                  So, now I get to look into the brakes on my nearly brand new enclosed. Hopefully they just need adjustment (which I admittedly haven't done since I got it).
                  Even though this was a fairly nice, and kind of expensive (not Featherlight or ATC expensive, but not Haulmark cheap) trailer all of the wiring uses ScotchLoks. It seems like all trailers get wired by whoever in the shop gets paid the lowest hourly. All of the connections are getting re-done right (soldering) and just wiggling the connectors seemed to temporarily solve the issue.
                  -TJ

Comment

Originally posted by tjZ06 View Post

Even though this was a fairly nice, and kind of expensive (not Featherlight or ATC expensive, but not Haulmark cheap) trailer all of the wiring uses ScotchLoks. It seems like all trailers get wired by whoever in the shop gets paid the lowest hourly. All of the connections are getting re-done right (soldering) and just wiggling the connectors seemed to temporarily solve the issue.
                    Oh come on now, Haulmark isn't that bad! Could have said like Cargo Mate or some other junk from Forest River! To be fair, Haulmark is a mid level trailer, but I love mine. Mine is an 08, has well over 100K miles on it now, and is still going strong. It is far from showroom condition, mostly because I stopped washing/waxing it after it got hail damage and I threw in the towel. I race out of it all summer and it lives at Dunes Edge all winter. I have never had any issues with it. Service the hubs/brakes and new tires every 3 years. Hell, it even got your car safely from Jeff's to Glamis last fall!

Comment

Originally posted by Schmack View Post

Oh come on now, Haulmark isn't that bad! Could have said like Cargo Mate or some other junk from Forest River! To be fair, Haulmark is a mid level trailer, but I love mine. Mine is an 08, has well over 100K miles on it now, and is still going strong. It is far from showroom condition, mostly because I stopped washing/waxing it after it got hail damage and I threw in the towel. I race out of it all summer and it lives at Dunes Edge all winter. I have never had any issues with it. Service the hubs/brakes and new tires every 3 years. Hell, it even got your car safely from Jeff's to Glamis last fall!
                      Fair 'nough... it's not a Cargo Mate and I expected better than Scotch Loks (that weren't even all done right) but I'm also not shocked, because like I said for some reason wiring seems to be the achilles heel trailer building (and a lot of rail builders too, hmmmm). Wasn't trying to hate, and glad yours has been so reliable and trouble free. That reminds me, I do need to throw a coat of wax on the enclosed soon. I've washed it all of twice now since I got it, and it still looks pretty good, but it could use a wax and some polish on the stainless and such.

-TJ

Comment

Working...
                      X