52 gal replacement tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52 gal replacement tank

Ford in their infinite wisdom provides a 26gal tank in the short bed Super Duty's. This makes towing a bitch as you have to stop every 200 or so miles. We've got an Oregon trip coming up and I decided enough was enough. I searched around for replacement tanks and came across a 52 gal replacement from Aero Tanks in San Bernadino. They were roughly $500 cheaper than Titan and that was enough to convince me. lol

Negotiated a cash deal installed for $1250 - I drove down and met them first thing in the morning. Jake had it installed within a few hours. When I picked it up he recommended Domestic Diesel in Chino to re-calibrate my computer to accurately read the miles to empty. The gas gauge measures correctly but if you don't calibrate the computer, your MTE will be off and that is one of my favorite features on my truck. I swung by Domestic Diesel and paid the $70.00

I was on my way within 30 minutes and headed for home. It was lunch time and already 108 outside. So thankful for my new tank. I could now drive back to the Bay Area non stop and not have to leave the nice AC

I already saved $26 on my first fill up as the diesel price was $3.35 vs $3.85 at home and I was almost empty when I filled the new tank. If anybody else has a short bed and looking to upgrade, check out Aero Tank

http://www.aerotanks.com/
    Too old to remember...

Nice! Great write up and good tip on Aerotank. I've honestly forgotten if the tank in my truck is a Titan or a Transferflow. It's a stock replacement and is 58 or 59 gallons, but I think with "reserve" it's actually a bit over 60 (or I've been really, really close to empty and the pickup does a good job of getting every last drop, because I've put 59+ into it).

My regular bed Chevy had a 36 gallon tank stock, which was "okay" but the ~60 is so much better. I saved some $ too last weekend going to/from Idaho and being able to be picky about what fuel station to hit (and doing all my fueling out of CA, including filling up before I left Nevada headed back into CA).

One note... and this is (obviously) a pet peeve of mine. You have a regular bed, so do I. At least on the GMs if you go to Chevy/GMC's site they call the 6-foot-something bed on a quad cap 2500/3500 a regular bed. The 8 foot bed is a long bed. And the 5-foot-something bed you only get on a quad cap 1500 is the "short bed."
    -TJ

"You can lead a horse to water... but you can't make it dune"

Comment

Going along with your pet peeves, do you think an XP 1000 turbo would fit in the back of my short bed Ford ??
      Too old to remember...

Comment

I had a 62 gallon transfer flow tank when I had my 1 ton dually. With the in truck (32 gallons I think) and the aux tank, I felt like I never stopped for fuel. And I sure as hell never filled up in CA.

Comment

My long bed Dmax has a 34 gallon tank and I added an auxiliary 50 gallon fuel tank/toolbox combo. Other then it turning my truck into a short bed it was a great addition. I went almost 6 months and never bought fuel in CA because I was driving to AZ so often. The $300 fuel tank paid for itself quickly at almost $1 a gallon cheaper fuel costs.
          LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
          RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
          WELDING & FABRICATION
          CAD DESIGN & WATER JET
          FULLY INSURED TRANSPORTATION SERVICES

Comment

I made the switch about a year ago too. Titan 50 or 55gal I believe in my dmax. My fuel gauge still works but gets a little finicky when it’s getting low. I’ve never really paid attention to the MTE. I know the feature still works on the truck but never really paid attention if it’s accurate or not. I’d like to think my mechanic calibrated the computer but maybe not...

Comment

I wish I held more than 90 gallons. So cheap in Lake Havasu. $2.77/gallon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190729_095100.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	4.13 MB
ID:	29430
              LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
              RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
              WELDING & FABRICATION
              CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

Wow, $2.77 is awesome. The best I saw in Idaho and Nevada last weekend was in the $2.90s.
                -TJ

"You can lead a horse to water... but you can't make it dune"

Comment

Great write up I just passed this info along to my friend who is wanting to do the same.
                  JC Whips and Shyt For all your whip and Sand Jack Needs
                  Check out my Instagram jc_whipsandshyt
                  858-692-7211

Comment

Originally posted by tjZ06 View Post
                    Wow, $2.77 is awesome. The best I saw in Idaho and Nevada last weekend was in the $2.90s.
                    Just the 60 gallons I got in Havasu was a $1/gallon cheaper than my usual station in LA so there's $60 saved on one fill-up. If I had timed it better and drove out there with less in the fuel tanks it could have been a $90 savings for one fill-up.

A guy DM'd me about my IG post and said he got diesel in Oregon yesterday for $2.55/gal. But who dafuq would live in Oregon?
                    LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
                    RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
                    WELDING & FABRICATION
                    CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

Originally posted by L.R.S. View Post

Just the 60 gallons I got in Havasu was a $1/gallon cheaper than my usual station in LA so there's $60 saved on one fill-up. If I had timed it better and drove out there with less in the fuel tanks it could have been a $90 savings for one fill-up.

A guy DM'd me about my IG post and said he got diesel in Oregon yesterday for $2.55/gal. But who dafuq would live in Oregon?
                      Headed there next summer for the dunes. Gonna make sure I fill up the motorhome to the absolute brim before entering CA.

Comment

Working...
                      X