No announcement yet.

2005 Monoco Knight DP Summer Repairs/Upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish I took pictures of things as I went along.

We were still kicking around the idea of selling it and going to something smaller. Something in the 35ft range with bunks to better accommodate the family. In the end, we decided to stick with no payment and put a little money in this when we need to for repairs/upgrades. I wasted most my summer working overtime, then the LA County Fair and then a couple other special event OT that had taken up most my weekends. Then Glamis season started and I found myself quickly having to do maintenance.

First things first, I needed to make this thing safe to go down the road. I didn't have a whole lot of time so I paid someone. Engine oil, all filters, new brakes (front and back) and an inspection of everything else. The brakes still squeal when stopping but I was assured they're fine and in good shape. The drive tires needed replacing and jc_whipsandjacks got me a deal on some tires and I had them installed at a local shop.

I noticed the ACs hadn't been keeping up the one time we used it during the summer. I needed to get this fixed, not so much for the Glamis season but in July 2020, we're going to Oregon and it's gonna be hot through the central valley. I pulled the covers off and found the coils to be pretty clean and beat up. I cleaned them up, straightened them out the best I could and put everything back together. I ran them to make sure they're working and they seemed colder then before. It wasn't a very hot day so I'm not sure if they're gonna keep up now or not.

Our first trip this season was Veteran's Day. No issues this weekend except the DVD player would not work so the kids could watch a movie near bedtime. I did remember that I needed to work on the electronics of the coach. They're a complete mess. My dad tried upgrading the TV and in turn messed up a bunch of other things cause he couldn't remember how everything was wired. This isn't a huge deal to me at all and I keep putting the electronics on the back burner cause I rarely watch TV but it's nice to have for the kids. We left on Sunday and in the morning and ran in to two issues. Driving on the 78, I noticed my side mirror was vibrating and moving up and down as opposite traffic passed by. I stop at the turn off and I can move my mirror up and down about 2 inches. Not a big deal but I had to take most the mirror apart to get to the screws to tighten. And I attempted to turn on the generator and it wouldn't start. Odd. I'd had zero issues with it. I can't recall the last time the generator was serviced so I ordered the oil, oil/fuel/air filter and will perform the maintenance this Friday before we leave.

For Thanksgiving, we had booked a week's stay at Pinnacles National Park. On the way up, the fridge starts beeping with a "No Co" fault code. Push on to Kettleman City for fuel and figure out the problem. After some googling, it means the fridge is not cooling. Could be for a variety of reasons including the temp sensor being bad or and this was it, the fridge operating at an angle. The street in front of my house is a pretty good incline and the motorhome was sitting on the curb for a day or two. I found a way to reset which requires removing the cover to the control panel, and using a wire to jump two ports and it resets. This seemed to fix the problem and we were back on the road. The rest of the weekend went fine. I didn’t have to use the generator as we had hook ups in the campground. Next Glamis trip is this weekend and then the following weekend.

Some things I need to take a look at during this season. I’m pretty sure I have a leak in the right front air bag. You can hear it as soon as you shut the rig off. I’ll get down there on Friday and see if that is the case or if it’s just a connection. I’ll perform the generator service and see if that fixes the issue of it not starting. Also, I need to replace the gasket in the front bathroom toilet. It allows the black tank smell up through it and stinks up the bathroom. The wife is still coming up with some ideas for the curtains and a couple inside cabinets need to be fixed. Nothing major.

Comment

Glad you're getting some use out of it. The maintenance never seems to end. I don't even have a DVD player in our RV but my kids are 17 and almost 14 so they have phones and never watch TV. I like to have the news on for background noise when I'm catching up on emails or arranging transports (cause technically I work in Glamis...).

We've had this RV since June 2016 and have all the 'bugs' worked out, but again, stuff still pops up and I'm scratching my head saying "WTF, it was working the last trip, how is it not working now..."
      LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
      RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
      WELDING & FABRICATION
      CAD DESIGN & WATER JET
      FULLY INSURED TRANSPORTATION SERVICES

Comment

Let's talk about the air system. I may or may not have a problem but certainly don't have enough expertise to know.

I've been noticing either an air leak or air dump as soon as the parking brake is applied and the engine is turned off. I originally thought it was coming out of the passenger front air bag but I crawled my fat ass under their today and saw it coming out of this exhaust valve.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5787.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	3.12 MB
ID:	31552 Air is released from this valve until it reaches around 60lbs of pressure and then it cuts off. Now, this just recently started occurring. At least I think. I would say in November (used twice in November). I imagine I would have noticed it before. Thinking out loud here, I can understand the system operating around 120 lbs of PSI while operating for brake/air ride use. Then, when parking brake is applied and engine is cut off, it doesn't need all the pressure and releases some. But, why did this just start? Wouldn't that have been doing it all along? I don't think it's an air leak cause why would it stop without releasing all pressure in the tanks?

Anybody got any experience with air brakes?

Andrew

Comment

I don't have any experience in fixing them, but that doesn't sound normal at all. My tanks stay full for days or weeks, after I had a leak fixed. If you can't get what you need here, I will give you a contact or reach out to angryspiderstomper on instagram. This is his wheel house. Guys a heavy diesel mechanic and work son all this stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Another 1sl View Post
            I will give you a contact or reach out to angryspiderstomper on instagram. This is his wheel house. Guys a heavy diesel mechanic and work son all this stuff.
            Aka Allen that L.R.S. mentioned in his thread about RV woes.

-TJ

"You can lead a horse to water... but you can't make it dune"

Comment

Thanks guys. I’ll shoot them a message. Sort of diagnoses the problem in the height control valve is bad. The valve is stuck open and releases all the air down to 50psi which another valve cuts it off. The chassis is designed not to go below 50psi in the event you have a bag blowout going down the road and you need the brakes to safely come to a stop.

Got the valve on order and will replace when I get it. Hopefully that solves some of the problem but I definitely need to get the air system looked at.

Comment

I was under my RV and heard an air leak and traced it back to this valve. Not sure what it is, but it's near the rear axle. More shit for me to fix...

Name:	20191214_145016.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	3.42 MB
ID:	31563
                LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
                RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
                WELDING & FABRICATION
                CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

Originally posted by L.R.S. View Post
                  I was under my RV and heard an air leak and traced it back to this valve. Not sure what it is, but it's near the rear axle. More shit for me to fix...

Name:	20191214_145016.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	3.42 MB
ID:	31563
                  Seems like it never ends.

Comment

https://www.anythingtruck.com/product/070-KN31000.html here you go https://www.amazon.com/PTP-KN31000PT...6634499&sr=8-1 the one from amazon you plug the ports you dont use

Comment

Originally posted by jersey_jeff73 View Post
                      Hell yeah man! Thanks! Ordered it tonight.
                      LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
                      RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
                      WELDING & FABRICATION
                      CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

Was putting some stuff in the motorhome to get ready for next weekend and couldn’t figure out the beeping sound I was hearing. Traced it to the propane detector. Time to replace. Got the $52 detector on order. Guess I can’t complain. It was the original detector from 2005. I read they go bad after 5 years but this one just started beeping recently.

Name:	8D6B254A-526C-4442-9809-27550DC7C029.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	3.35 MB
ID:	31888

Name:	044D3AC6-8614-42BA-8303-CC199C34F8C4.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	3.68 MB
ID:	31889

Comment

Originally posted by AHW View Post
                          It was the original detector from 2005. I read they go bad after 5 years but this one just started beeping recently.
                          Good call man. People take those things for granted.

Quick story- My buddy passed out in his 5er one night over New Year's week. His buddies saran wrapped it shut and parked a SxS in front of the door. At some point his heater quit working but for some reason kept flowing propane. He woke up and figured out how to get out and was EXTREMELY sick for the next few days and was really close to going to the Brawley ER. Don't know if he had a propane leak detector of not. He could have died.

Another one- Many years ago we were night racing in Barstow and my wife and kids were in our Class C RV at Main pit. I was out in a remote pit and got a call from my wife about the CO detector going off a few times. I told her it was probably going bad and not to worry about it. The race ended and I got to Main pit to see my buddy had pulled into camp really close to us in his pusher and his generator was running. The exhaust was pointed right at my RV rear bedroom, also where the CO detector was located. The detector was working and trying to tell us there was CO in the RV. My wife never mentioned my buddy had pulled in right next to us but regardless I should have been more vigilant. That could have killed my family.
                          LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
                          RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
                          WELDING & FABRICATION
                          CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

Originally posted by L.R.S. View Post

Good call man. People take those things for granted.

Quick story- My buddy passed out in his 5er one night over New Year's week. His buddies saran wrapped it shut and parked a SxS in front of the door. At some point his heater quit working but for some reason kept flowing propane. He woke up and figured out how to get out and was EXTREMELY sick for the next few days and was really close to going to the Brawley ER. Don't know if he had a propane leak detector of not. He could have died.

Another one- Many years ago we were night racing in Barstow and my wife and kids were in our Class C RV at Main pit. I was out in a remote pit and got a call from my wife about the CO detector going off a few times. I told her it was probably going bad and not to worry about it. The race ended and I got to Main pit to see my buddy had pulled into camp really close to us in his pusher and his generator was running. The exhaust was pointed right at my RV rear bedroom, also where the CO detector was located. The detector was working and trying to tell us there was CO in the RV. My wife never mentioned my buddy had pulled in right next to us but regardless I should have been more vigilant. That could have killed my family.
                            Damn. That’s dangerous. I try not to mess around with CO and smoke detectors. I always keep them up to date. I had no idea this thing even existed until it started beeping. Was hidden pretty well. I didn’t know the coach even has one since propane has a pretty foul smell to it and that would alert me. Lesson learned. Received the new one today, will install before this weekend.

Comment

Name:	750CC67A-62A5-4BD5-A598-FD42025C9351.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	3.15 MB
ID:	31940 Back in business.

Comment

Originally posted by jersey_jeff73 View Post
                                I finally made the time to install this yesterday. Pretty basic, just had to run to the hardware store to get an 1/8" plug.

Name:	20200307_163210.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	3.44 MB
ID:	32679

Name:	20200307_163957.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	4.12 MB
ID:	32680

Name:	20200307_164001.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	4.72 MB
ID:	32681

I fired up the RV and got the air pressure to normal and shut it down. Usually I can hear the air leak by the right side rear tires but I couldn't hear anything now. I checked the air pressure a couple of hours later and it had only dropped about 10psi. So that's fixed! Now onto some other broken shit...
                                LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
                                RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
                                WELDING & FABRICATION
                                CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

Working...
                                X