Winchester Bay Labor Day Trip Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winchester Bay Labor Day Trip Report

We headed up to the Winchester Bay dunes in Oregon for the Labor Day weekend. I headed out after work on Thursday night and arrived Friday morning at the Umpqua Dunes RV Park in Winchester Bay Oregon. Apparently the county has taken this campground over from private ownership around a year ago. They have some big plans to renovate this park and add more spaces, which will be very nice since you're squeezed in like sardines.

Here's a pic of our campsite. The RV barely fit, so I had to use overflow parking for the trailers. I believe the space was like $60 a night, which imo is very steep for what you get. The neighbors were cool and partied pretty good. Forgot how much dope people smoke in Oregon, and you could smell it everywhere.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2407.jpg Views:	6 Size:	384.4 KB ID:	30238

The dunes themselves are very small compared to Glamis, but still worth a trip. If I went to the Oregon dunes all the time, a SXS and quad would be just enough. I've never seen so many banshees riding around. It was probably the most popular vehicle there, even more than the sxs. The scenery and weather this time of year is what make's it worth it. There were a lot of quads duning all day, so I was pretty reserved driving the sandrail. I met up with a bunch of high school buddies that still live in that area and took them for rides. Had an awesome time overall.

Here's a few pics of the dunes:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2430.jpg Views:	5 Size:	197.5 KB ID:	30239

My 450 at the top of 'Banshee Hill'
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2409.jpg Views:	6 Size:	303.9 KB ID:	30240
    And the rail:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2380.jpg Views:	5 Size:	231.0 KB ID:	30241Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2383.jpg Views:	5 Size:	306.3 KB ID:	30242

Overall the trip was great. It was only an 8hr drive each way since I was temporarily relocated for work up north. Looking forward to the SSSS next weekend, then the real season!

​​​​
    Last edited by cseeley; 09-05-2019, 06:55 PM.

Looks awesome up there! Don’t think I’d bring the buggy on that long of a haul but definitely Want to get the rzr out there one day. Thanks for posting

Comment

Looks like you had a great time. I used to be station in WA and those were the only dunes for me at the time. You are right thought the views and weather are perfect this time of year with fantastic scenery I was pretty disappointed with the dunes my first time because I was coming from Glamis but I got used to them. I learned a very valuable lesson Wash the equipment after use in/near the saltwater. Hopefully that was on you list
      JC Whips and Shyt For all your whip and Sand Jack Needs
      Check out my Instagram jc_whipsandshyt
      858-692-7211

Comment

Originally posted by nickc313 View Post
        Looks awesome up there! Don’t think I’d bring the buggy on that long of a haul but definitely Want to get the rzr out there one day. Thanks for posting
        Yeah the rzr would be perfect. You could ride Coos Bay too which is a few miles south. There you can ride on the beach and practically have the whole place to yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by jc_whipsandjacks View Post
          Looks like you had a great time. I used to be station in WA and those were the only dunes for me at the time. You are right thought the views and weather are perfect this time of year with fantastic scenery I was pretty disappointed with the dunes my first time because I was coming from Glamis but I got used to them. I learned a very valuable lesson Wash the equipment after use in/near the saltwater. Hopefully that was on you list
          Yeah definitely, the salt water will eat your sh&t! There's so much water in the air too that any bare metal gets a layer of rust by morning.

Comment

Here's two more pics that were sent to me:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2065.PNG
Views:	63
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	30251
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2089.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	30252

Comment

Damn the scenery is epic!

Car seems to be running good

Comment

I was in Coos bay 3 weeks ago and decided to bring a SxS and leave the rail at home. I probably only saw 3-4 sandrails all week. It's definitely an atv paradise. Had beautiful weather and 1 day of rain. Look forward to going back next year.
                Too old to remember...

Comment

Looks like a blast. We’ll be out there August 2020. Staying at Windy Cove in Winchester Bay.

Comment

Originally posted by AHW View Post
                    Looks like a blast. We’ll be out there August 2020. Staying at Windy Cove in Winchester Bay.
                    Nice. I looked at that campground but spots were all full this year. We'll be going again next Labor Day and possibly a few times before. We may do Windy Cove or Half Moon Bay next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Hondajimz View Post
                      I was in Coos bay 3 weeks ago and decided to bring a SxS and leave the rail at home. I probably only saw 3-4 sandrails all week. It's definitely an atv paradise. Had beautiful weather and 1 day of rain. Look forward to going back next year.
                      Yeah not too many sandrails out for Labor Day either. The tree runs on a quad at Winchester are so much fun. We might explore Coos Bay a little next year, especially since you can drive on the beach.

Comment

Originally posted by acefuture View Post
                        Damn the scenery is epic!

Car seems to be running good
                        Yeah it would be a prime spot for a good photographer. I made a few adjustments to the rail and it's been running great. At least now I feel all the small bugs are worked out. I'm going to check my cv's and tranny before the season starts and do a good prep on the car. Now it's time to get it dialed and do some little extras - like power steering.

Comment

Originally posted by cseeley View Post

Nice. I looked at that campground but spots were all full this year. We'll be going again next Labor Day and possibly a few times before. We may do Windy Cove or Half Moon Bay next year.
                          It fills up pretty quickly. It's just the run of the mill county campground. The spots in the back row (up against the hillside) are the best. Doesn't have a lot of amenities besides full hook ups. The nicer campground is across the street but are super strict about off road vehicles. If it's not street legal, they get angry if they see them out of the trailer. Windy Cove knows their bread and butter is off road vehicles so they're super lenient. You can even ride in and out of the campground.

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by cseeley View Post

Yeah it would be a prime spot for a good photographer. I made a few adjustments to the rail and it's been running great. At least now I feel all the small bugs are worked out. I'm going to check my cv's and tranny before the season starts and do a good prep on the car. Now it's time to get it dialed and do some little extras - like power steering.
                            Run EPS. I put the Kartek one on my car. Works great. I had one from a guy at the sand show on my last car. I think his name was Harvey and he was at the Sand Limo booth. Was selling them for $450 and it worked really good and had a control knob to adjust it as well.

Comment

Beautiful scenery. Looks like a perfect place for me to break out the ole dirt bike again.

Comment

Working...
                              X