Smudge Pots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L.R.S. View Post
    Looks like my smudge pot will now be a Glamis only thing. I had it going for a few hours last night and it started to pop a little. I was calling it a night so I closed the carb and lid to extinguish it but the thing kept popping for another 30 minutes. It was smoking like a mother father too and it smelled like propane. I was burning straight used engine oil and gear oil. At 9pm I was leaving for work and saw 3 fire trucks at the Walgreen's down the street. Our house is on a hillside and the main BLVD sits below us. As I drove by I thought oh shit, wonder if they smelled the fumes and called 911? I called my son and he walked down to casually inquire. A local Sheriff deputy said the employees smelled a gas leak and called 911 so they rolled out 3 different fire companies due to all the fires in So CA right now. Shit. The cop said they didn't find a gas leak and mentioned this also happened a few weeks ago when he was on shift. Uh oh.

So, no more smudge pot at home. I'll take it to Glamis only.
    Sounds like you need to clean it out. Burn straight e85 in it and it will cook out any built up soot. tjZ06 and I did this with rebelmark smudge pot after it burned through about 15 fallons of used recycle truck motor oil and it made all the difference in the world. From that point on I have only burned a diesel/gasoline mix, diesel/e85 mix, or straight e85 in mine.

Comment

Originally posted by mcclure_m View Post

Sounds like you need to clean it out. Burn straight e85 in it and it will cook out any built up soot. tjZ06 and I did this with rebelmark smudge pot after it burned through about 15 fallons of used recycle truck motor oil and it made all the difference in the world. From that point on I have only burned a diesel/gasoline mix, diesel/e85 mix, or straight e85 in mine.
      I've cleaned it a few times and even scrap the unburned shit out. How's it burning straight e85? How do you light it? I always pour a little gasoline on top of whatever oil I'm burning and l light it up but straight e85 is kinda scary.
      LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
      RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
      WELDING & FABRICATION
      CAD DESIGN & WATER JET
      FULLY INSURED TRANSPORTATION SERVICES

Comment

I've cleaned it a few times and even scrap the unburned shit out. How's it burning straight e85? How do you light it? I always pour a little gasoline on top of whatever oil I'm burning and l light it up but straight e85 is kinda scary.
        I used to burn race gas that I wouldn't put in my car. It was fun, it had so much water in it, when it boiled it would pop so hard it put the fire out some times. Lighting it was always a 50/50 shot of dying a horrible death.

Comment

e85 is better than lighting unleaded. Pur some on the sand when you're in G. It's a slower more controlled burn.

Comment

I have never burned gear oil but have heard it can cause issues. I’ve burned a lot of used motor oil over the years and never had that kind of smell or popping as long as there’s not water in the oil. Whenever I store it I put it in the 2.5 gallon DEF jugs to keep moisture out of the oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Another 1sl View Post
              Lighting it was always a 50/50 shot of dying a horrible death.
              This is what I'm trying to avoid. I'm scared.

Originally posted by LowVoltSD View Post
              I have never burned gear oil but have heard it can cause issues. I’ve burned a lot of used motor oil over the years and never had that kind of smell or popping as long as there’s not water in the oil. Whenever I store it I put it in the 2.5 gallon DEF jugs to keep moisture out of the oil.
              I'll stop burning gear oil and only use engine oil and old e85.
              LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
              RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
              WELDING & FABRICATION
              CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

Finally cleaned my smudge pit out today. Guess I've been using it more than I thought. Probably a half inch of build up on the underside of the lid and a good inch of solid stuff in the bottom. I'm taking it to Glamis for my next trip and I'll bring some used engine oil and plenty of e85.
                LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
                RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
                WELDING & FABRICATION
                CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

Brought my smudge pot to Glamis and have been burning 50/50 mix of e85 and engine oil. A little intimidating lighting it up the first few times but now I light it like I always have. Fill the base to about 2/3, pour a cup of gasoline on that and stick a lighter in it. Fires right up. So far I've burned about 25 gallons.

LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
                  RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
                  WELDING & FABRICATION
                  CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

Working...
                  X