No announcement yet.

Smudge Pots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First trip with our smudge pot and I love it! It wasn't cold enough to actually need it but I wanted to learn about it before we really need it on the next few trips. I had 5 gallons of motor oil and gear oil I've been saving from a few prep jobs. I also had about 5 gallons of old pump gas. This particular smudge pot has a bunch of small rocks in the bottom I'm guessing for ballast? It's about an inch deep so it doesn't loose much volume. I made the horrible decision to transport it while it was about half full of engine oil. It was in the bed of my truck so I figured it would be fine but it spilled a little. My fault, won't happen again.

I took a 1 gallon jug of the old pump gas to use as starter fluid for the smudge pot. I didn't put much in, just a splash. I also added some engine oil tjz06 had with him, maybe a gallon or so. Then I lit it with a long lighter and it was flaming. I played around with the carb so I had a little bit of flame coming out of the top. Usually 2 to 2.5 (of 3) holes was perfect. It'll change depending on the oil I use in the future. I also taught my wife and kids how to adjust the carb so they'd know in case I wasn't around. Also taught them how to turn it off by closing the carb and the lid. The next night was a little cooler so my wife lit the smudge pot on her own with zero issues. We let it burn all the way down on Thursday night. It got really smoky as the oil was almost gone. It also smelled if you got downwind. Friday night I put about half of the 5 gallons in it and lit it right after we got back from the drags around 7 pm. It burned until midnight before there was nothing left to burn. Saturday night was the same thing, I added the last of my oil, around 2.5 gallons and it burned until around 11 pm when we went to bed.

Overall I really like the convenience of the smudge pot and not needing to buy fire wood. I will need to bring more used oil to burn and fortunately we have plenty of that at the race shop. Guess I'll get to learn what synthetic oil smells like when we burn it. Not everyone in our group was set on the smudge pot and preferred a regular fire pit. I'm sticking with the smudge pot cause I like 'free' fuel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171024_225306.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	2.78 MB
ID:	12495

Name:	20171024_230601.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	12496Too much flame.

Name:	20171024_230647.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	3.03 MB
ID:	12497Perfect flame.
    LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
    RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
    WELDING & FABRICATION
    CAD DESIGN & WATER JET
    FULLY INSURED TRANSPORTATION SERVICES

Comment

Originally posted by L.R.S. View Post
      First trip with our smudge pot and I love it! It wasn't cold enough to actually need it but I wanted to learn about it before we really need it on the next few trips. I had 5 gallons of motor oil and gear oil I've been saving from a few prep jobs. I also had about 5 gallons of old pump gas. This particular smudge pot has a bunch of small rocks in the bottom I'm guessing for ballast? It's about an inch deep so it doesn't loose much volume. I made the horrible decision to transport it while it was about half full of engine oil. It was in the bed of my truck so I figured it would be fine but it spilled a little. My fault, won't happen again.

I took a 1 gallon jug of the old pump gas to use as starter fluid for the smudge pot. I didn't put much in, just a splash. I also added some engine oil tjz06 had with him, maybe a gallon or so. Then I lit it with a long lighter and it was flaming. I played around with the carb so I had a little bit of flame coming out of the top. Usually 2 to 2.5 (of 3) holes was perfect. It'll change depending on the oil I use in the future. I also taught my wife and kids how to adjust the carb so they'd know in case I wasn't around. Also taught them how to turn it off by closing the carb and the lid. The next night was a little cooler so my wife lit the smudge pot on her own with zero issues. We let it burn all the way down on Thursday night. It got really smoky as the oil was almost gone. It also smelled if you got downwind. Friday night I put about half of the 5 gallons in it and lit it right after we got back from the drags around 7 pm. It burned until midnight before there was nothing left to burn. Saturday night was the same thing, I added the last of my oil, around 2.5 gallons and it burned until around 11 pm when we went to bed.

Overall I really like the convenience of the smudge pot and not needing to buy fire wood. I will need to bring more used oil to burn and fortunately we have plenty of that at the race shop. Guess I'll get to learn what synthetic oil smells like when we burn it. Not everyone in our group was set on the smudge pot and preferred a regular fire pit. I'm sticking with the smudge pot cause I like 'free' fuel.

Name:	20171024_225306.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	2.78 MB
ID:	12495

Name:	20171024_230601.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	12496Too much flame.

Name:	20171024_230647.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	3.03 MB
ID:	12497Perfect flame.
      Yours was my personal one we were using in my driveway. I am pretty sure those rocks are thanks to my kids lol. But they actually helped in the driveway. We didnt light a fire at all at camp this past weekend. we just used the smudgies. We set them down in the sand and built up a little base with them jsut to make sure they didnt fall over. I am sold on them.
      The Dirty Duner Show

Your Podcast For Everything Dune and Dirt
      Dirtydunershow.com
      Find the show on FB and IG.

Comment

Bump. Still have a few left and picking up another truckload this Friday after work.

Comment

Bump. Picking up another 12 tomorrow.

Comment

Still have a bunch of these still for sale. Also have the replacement bottoms now as well.

Comment

Bump. I have another 12 of these ready to go. I am in San Diego but travel to Lake Elsinore and Riverside area weekly for work.

Comment

Just picked up another truckload of Smudgies. Let me know if anyone needs a smudgie or 4.

Comment

I'm interested in trying one of these. What is the cleanest burning (least amount of smell) fuel to use? My wife hates the typical campfire smell that our clothes stink of after burning wood, so I was wondering if this might be an option, or if it will be even worse.

Comment

Originally posted by kazuaki View Post
                    I'm interested in trying one of these. What is the cleanest burning (least amount of smell) fuel to use? My wife hates the typical campfire smell that our clothes stink of after burning wood, so I was wondering if this might be an option, or if it will be even worse.
                    The worst possible smell you can get from a smudge pot is by burning engine oil, trans fluid, gear oil, old e85 and a little gasoline. That's what I burn in mine and when it's not burning you'd swear there was leaking propane tank nearby. I've had people call me and say there's a propane leak coming from my enclosed. Aftrer a minute or two after starting it up the smell goes away. It returns when I snuff it out or it runs low on fuel and starts to starve.

Diesel is probably the cleanest burning fuel but at $4/gallon I'll burn then free stuff.
                    LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
                    RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
                    WELDING & FABRICATION
                    CAD DESIGN & WATER JET
                    FULLY INSURED TRANSPORTATION SERVICES

Comment

Diesel, huh? The $4/gallon might be doable if it lasts a while. How fast does it burn? Like a gallon an hour?

Comment

5 gallons lasts about 10-12 hours with 3 holes open. I run red dye diesel (No road taxes) mixed 50/50 with used motor oil. I think that’s the best blend I’ve used.

Comment

tis' the season! SSSS here we come!
                          Do you still have some smudge pots?

Comment

Working...
                          X