No announcement yet.

Prep job on my car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A car cover on a PRERUNNER? Seems like an oxymoron to me.

How much bend can you get out of the PTFE lines? Do they need to be much straighter runs than regular braided nylon hose?

Comment

• Originally posted by Grey Mamba View Post
      A car cover on a PRERUNNER? Seems like an oxymoron to me.

How much bend can you get out of the PTFE lines? Do they need to be much straighter runs than regular braided nylon hose?
      I'm not sure how much they can bend. I try to keep my lines as straight as possible for good flow. I'm no engineer (well I'm a building Engineer) but there's a formula to calculate the delta P (pressure drop) on a pipe when you add 90* fittings. The more turns the less pressure/flow.

And yes, my "prerunner" is under a cover...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190903_150132.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	4.53 MB
ID:	30189

When my son got home from school today I had him help me re-bleed the clutch and there was a lot of air in the line. We got it all out and the clutch is working 100% now. Big relief for me, I was not looking forward to pulling the engine to check the internal throwout bearing. So we put the cover back on it and called it good.
      LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
      RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
      WELDING & FABRICATION
      CAD DESIGN & WATER JET
      FULLY INSURED TRANSPORTATION SERVICES

Comment

• Stoked for you on the clutch issue. My heart would have dropped with that finiding.

With all this progress.......

I'm thinking you should do a pre-glamis shakedown run in Barstow next month so I can buy you that lunch I owe you.

Comment

• Originally posted by csrosenberry View Post
          Stoked for you on the clutch issue. My heart would have dropped with that finiding.

With all this progress.......

I'm thinking you should do a pre-glamis shakedown run in Barstow next month so I can buy you that lunch I owe you.
          I'd love to pound some dirt in Barstow but it's gonna be a long time before I take my freshly powder coated car out there. Maybe after this season in Glamis.
          LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
          RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
          WELDING & FABRICATION
          CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

• While I wait for my electrical guy to make room for me I'm still knocking out little stuff here and there. As much as I've preached Fire Safety in the past, and having a fire suppression kit sitting on the shelf for three years, it's time for me to get serious and install it. If I don't do it now it'll never happen.

I wanted to put the system under the right rear seat but the 6' cable I have isn't long enough to reach the dash. I could have made a bracket to mount the pull handle near the shifter but I want it in a more obvious location and one that anybody will see, like in the middle of the dash. I looked around for another spot- next to the passenger's seat, on top of the dual batteries, etc.

Name:	post-19978-1411954761_thumb.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	30209
            tjZ06 system was mounted next to the fuel cell just behind the passenger's seat in his Potter.

Name:	20150920_154711.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	3.28 MB
ID:	30210
            ​​​​​​@wrtundra system was mounted on top of the dual battery mount. This was a great place for it and one of my next choices.

Name:	20141122_081103.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	30211
            Then I remembered doing Bill's BFD (not @dzrtrun) and I looked under my dash. There is a 1" tube running the width of the car that would be perfect, I just needed to fab up some brackets.

Name:	20190904_141445.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	3.93 MB
ID:	30212
            I ordered a pair of 1" tube clamps from Kartek and the box showed up today.

Name:	20190904_141616.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	3.48 MB
ID:	30213
            I cut two pieces of flat strap that will go between the bottle mounts and the tube mounts.

Name:	20190904_144055.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	4.87 MB
ID:	30214

Name:	20190904_144518.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	4.61 MB
ID:	30215

Name:	20190904_154546.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	4.06 MB
ID:	30216

Name:	20190904_175200.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	3.99 MB
ID:	30217
            This is the absolute PERFECT spot for the fire suppression system and you will not be able to see it at all. It also doesn't impede the passenger's legroom. It's tucked up nicely. The pull cable will only need to be 16" long and because it's so close I'm also adding a nozzle to the center of the dash for the front seats. Sorry backseat passengers.
            LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
            RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
            WELDING & FABRICATION
            CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

• Originally posted by L.R.S. View Post

I'd love to pound some dirt in Barstow but it's gonna be a long time before I take my freshly powder coated car out there. Maybe after this season in Glamis.
              Oh man you really are sounding like a sand guy now....
              J/K

Sounds good. Maybe a late spring early summer night run is in order?

Comment

• I forgot you did Bills BFD fire suppression system. After Geoff burnt up in his BFD it really spooked Bill but I forgot he had you do the system in his. It turned out great, as is yours!

And yes, 10/10 stoked re-bleeding the clutch solved the issue. Would have been a nightmare taking the engine out again... Nice work, looks like you'll be ready for a shakedown soon!

Comment

• Originally posted by csrosenberry View Post

Oh man you really are sounding like a sand guy now....
                  J/K

Sounds good. Maybe a late spring early summer night run is in order?
                  I'll be back in the hardpack soon enough. Just need a full season in the sand to enjoy a shinny new car.

Originally posted by nickc313 View Post
                  I forgot you did Bills BFD fire suppression system. After Geoff burnt up in his BFD it really spooked Bill but I forgot he had you do the system in his. It turned out great, as is yours!

And yes, 10/10 stoked re-bleeding the clutch solved the issue. Would have been a nightmare taking the engine out again... Nice work, looks like you'll be ready for a shakedown soon!
                  I think Bills's BFD was a twin to Geoff's car?
                  LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
                  RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
                  WELDING & FABRICATION
                  CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

• Not much progress on my car over my weekend "off". Why the quotation marks? Because I drove almost 900 miles this weekend so I wasn't exactly off but it was a fun and quick trip. I have 300 more to drive tomorrow.

But I did manage to squeeze in a little time on the car.

Name:	20190908_151453.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	3.31 MB
ID:	30284This is the underside of the dash showing how the fire suppression bottle is mounted.

I know I said I was only going to run two nozzles on tis system, one pointed at each header but that was when I thought I was mounting the bottle under the rear seat. Now that it's mounted under the dash it's about an 8" run to ut a nozzle on the dash. What's even better is I had an old -3AN stainless braided hose with fittings on both ends that made the dash nozzle super easy. And besides that the bottle has two fittings built-in so I'd have to plug one and that didn't make sense. As far as the rear seat? Sorry, no nozzle for you.

I drilled a hole in the dash, took absolutely no pictures of it and installed the nozzle. I ran the stainless braided hose to it an called that one done. I had about 12' of 3/16" stainless hard-line left over from the original 40' I bought to re-do my clutch line and make new rear brake lines but it wasn't enough for the two engine nozzles. It got me back to the nose cone on the trans so I'll pick up another 10' at Kartek tomorrow.

Name:	20190908_151507.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	4.00 MB
ID:	30285To make removing the bottle easier (the dash will have to come out when I have the car wrapped) I used another -3AN stainless braided line to go from the bottle to the A pillar (what would be a firewall in a normal car).

Name:	20190908_151515.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	4.05 MB
ID:	30286

Name:	20190908_151511.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	4.17 MB
ID:	30287I had a double male connector and used that to go from braided line to the hard-line.

With the SSSS tis coming weekend and me being about 3 cars behind right now I have to get my car out of my driveway. I've been waiting for a spot at my electrical guy's shop but if he can't get me in this week I'm going to call my exhaust guy and have him knock out the rear flange then see how soon I can get on tintman Tyler's schedule. I really wanted the wrap to be the very last thing I did so I could put the car n the trailer and call it good. But my electrical guy is ALWAYS booked, and that's because he's really good at what he does. All I need is for him to change my Switch Pro to have a switch turn on the whips (they're wired to the ignition now and I can't turn them on when I'm parked), wire up my new rear light bar for the brakes and taillights, and fix the relay for my trans pump that I eff'd up. I was thinking about having him hook up the rear seat heaters (for whatever reason my front seats don't have them) but that's super low on the priority list.
                    LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
                    RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
                    WELDING & FABRICATION
                    CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

• You make more progress when you aren't making progress than I do after a great weekend of progress LOL.

Looks awesome, keep the pictures, tips, and tricks coming, can't wait to see this thing completed.

You have to get some some more video of this thing pounding the whoops this year!

Comment

• Can you please stop spray painting shocks and get back to the good stuff here. I want to see the build continue!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grey Mamba View Post
                          Can you please stop spray painting shocks and get back to the good stuff here. I want to see the build continue!
                          Ok, ok...

Well, I officially regret stripping the powder coat off my windshield frame. I can't tell you how many hours I have into it but for around $1500 Adam would have made me a new one to go along with his body design. Instead, I cheaped out and asked him to match his body panels to my existing window frame. Lesson learned. But it's done and ready for a wrap.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190912_153525.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.44 MB ID:	30361The paint stripper only did so much and I finally gave up and took a wire wheel to it. The problem is it gets hot FAST so I had to move around a lot to keep it from warping the aluminum.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190912_153201.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.69 MB ID:	30362
                          I had the window Dzus tabs PC'd and installed them a while ago. For some reason whenever I'd look at them they didn't seem right. I used my stamp to mark them so I knew they were in the right spot. Then I set the window frame on it and did a quick face-palm.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190912_153508.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.80 MB ID:	30363
                          They were backward.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190912_210956.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.01 MB ID:	30364 Done and done.
                          LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
                          RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
                          WELDING & FABRICATION
                          CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

• And one more thing knocked off the list- fire suppression system.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190912_172351.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.50 MB ID:	30366I ran a line from the bottle to the rear of the car and added a compression fitting right at the shifter linkage on the transaxle nosecone. From ther I brought the line up to the bottom of the fuel cell. I installed a compression fitting T. I drilled and tapped (PIA!) and used a stainless clamp to hold the line in place. I see a lot of systems with the lines zip tied. Plastic and fire don't mix well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190912_172357.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.54 MB ID:	30367
                            Digging through my stainless suplies I found a bent up line and it worked perfectly to get the proper angle to point the nozzle at the header.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190912_175312.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.02 MB ID:	30368I ran a line from the T at the other nozzle to the opposite side and bent the end 90* so it lined up with the radiator lower mount. The nozzle has a great angle from here to cover the entire header.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190912_180835.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.30 MB ID:	30369And here is the dash nozzle. It's not centered because of the dual GPS's but it'll work. I'm still waiting to get a hold of the suppression company so I can buy a new cable/mount and the little rupture disk that goes between the bottle and nozzle. Fughers haven't called me back.

EDIT to add- the red nozzles I used do not come with the ESS suppression system. ESS uses an AN plug with a hole drilled in it and a small cut to make it disperse like 90*. I've used them in many cars and they always bothered me. When I re-did the Class 1 car it had a Fire Fox suppression system and I called and them and bought more nozzles. I called them a few years later and bought myself more for my ESS system. Glad I did, they look much better then the cheesy AN fitting.

As far as upgrades and assembly this project is officially DONE! I'm sure if I stare at it long enough I'll see more shit I want to change but as far as I'm concerned once it goes to electrical, exhaust and gets the wrap it's dune ready.
                            LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
                            RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
                            WELDING & FABRICATION
                            CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

• Well, I lied. Got home from work and being off till next Tues afternoon I was meandering about my shop and saw my R2C canister filter and remembers I have two brand new CBM bad ass 15" filters for it. So I have to put it back on the car and toss the 8" cone filter. Dammit, more fabrication...

Name:	20190913_082540.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	4.52 MB
ID:	30377

LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
                              RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
                              WELDING & FABRICATION
                              CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

• Did I say this car is done? Well, maybe now it actually is done.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190916_101139.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.89 MB ID:	30441I'm making my standard half tube and hose clamp mounts for this little job. I start off with a piece of 1 3/4" round tube (fits perfect ove my 1 5/8" chassis tubes) and some 1"x1" angle iron.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190916_102201.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.29 MB ID:	30442

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190916_102139.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.46 MB ID:	30443

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190916_180300.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.36 MB ID:	30444DId a little massaging to the angle iron so it fit around the round filter housing. I could have just used flat strap steel but the angle iron 'should' be a little more rigid.

The 'plan' was to bolt the R2C cannister brackets to the bracket I built for the chassis but when I mocked it up the filter was about 2" higher or 2" lower than the intake tube and it was bugging me. I wanted them level. The bolts for the two brackets were hitting the chassis tube so eff them. They got pulled and replaced with some welding.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190917_112401.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.60 MB ID:	30445 Eventually, tins will come off and get powder coated semi-gloss to match the other brackets.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190917_115520.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.00 MB ID:	30446I had to trim the KATG body to get a little clearance for the hose clamps.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190917_121155.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.53 MB ID:	30447

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190917_121201.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.15 MB ID:	30448

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190917_121347.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.89 MB ID:	30449

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190917_122411.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.81 MB ID:	30450

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_10415.jpg Views:	9 Size:	4.03 MB ID:	30451Ok, now I'm done. I think.

My electrical guy has pushed me off for another week and it's getting ridiculous. I'm not asking for a complete re-wire, just a few hours of doing what he's really good at and will keep me from finding a new guy. But I can't let that hold this up any longer so I'm calling my exhaust guy tomorrow and Tyler tintman so I can coordinate getting the exhaust fixed up and then take the car straight to Tyler's shop for the wrap.

LIEVENSE RACE SERVICES
                                RACE & PLAY CAR PREP
                                WELDING & FABRICATION
                                CAD DESIGN & WATER JET

Comment

Working...
                                X